Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More About Keyless Entry

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    When a child or dog is locked in a car in the hot sun, it's better to have a pass code than to break a window.

Oh, wait, you're in Rainville, WA where there's never sun. Never mind.
    That might depend on how long it takes to get the code, a couple of minutes can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    I don't know, but I think the Factory Pass Code doesn't go away, how will the police get into the car without breaking a window if they can't use the FPC?
    Unless the breakin wasn't through the VIN/keypad the FPC does not go away (Ford product) because we changed our PC as soon as we got the car.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    When a child or dog is locked in a car in the hot sun, it's better to have a pass code than to break a window.

Oh, wait, you're in Rainville, WA where there's never sun. Never mind.
    In my memory there hasn't been many police calling a special number to get into a car in such situations. Maybe some see it as an educational experience for the person who left another living entity to endure a situation beyond their capacity. If the person comes back more upset about the broken window than the affected life, maybe an arrest would be in order.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

On my older (2009) escape, you still have a key to start the car; the keypad only opens (or locks) the doors. If I take it somewhere for service and can't get there to pick it up until after they are closed, I just have them lock the key in the car. I can open the door with the keypad, retrieve the key, and drive away. Or if my wife and I go to a big flea market or shopping at the mall or wherever, she can open the car to deposit treasure without having to take a second key. If we go to the beach, we can lock the keys in the car and not have to worry about them being lost or stolen while we are swimming. Granted, all of these situations have other solutions, but it sure is convenient with the keypad, and you don't have to think ahead and remember to take a second key.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Maybe only to open the door if I lock myself out? Probably depends on where you live and what you drive. I don't know if a "slim jim" works on a car with power locks.
    Slim jim won't, but a wedge and a bent radio antenna does. Four years ago, while on vacation over in Canada, left wife in car to ask about paying for parking. Wife gets out of car and locks door with keys inside. Call locksmith,and he tries slim jim to no avail. Gets a plastic wedge, like the ones used with chain saws, pries on top of door and inserts wedge. Using bent radio antenna reaches in and hits power lock button. which releases the door locks. "That will be $55 (US) sir, and have a good day."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Had an interesting experience with keyless entry/ignition a while back. Wife and I went shopping, dropped her off at the store and went and parked the car. Tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, that's when I realized I had forgotten my fob at home and we had been using her fob. I was able to lock it using the lock button inside but if I'd had to restart the car I wouldn't have been able to. Still love the keyless system but it can fool you.
    So you're saying that the car recognized you were impersonating your wife and wouldn't let you drive. Crazy!

Note: what brand of vehicle do you have. I don't think this can happen with a Chevy without the car beeping at you.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 03-31-2019 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    Our car has keyless entry/start and a keypad to open the door without your key (STUPID).

On vacation several years ago, parked in a hotels parking lot, our car got broken into, (nothing was broken). Searched the web; a thief can view your VIN number, go on the dark web and find the default pass code for the keypad.

It was Christmas time our car was full of presents, we lost about $800 worth of stuff (presents and cold weather gear) and then spent another $120 to have the keypad disabled.
    Is it possible the door(s) weren't actually locked? I habitually lock my car with the door lock on the inside of the door before I close it, then use the keyfob to verify a couple times while I'm walling away. My wifes Equinox HAS to be locked after the doors are closed with either the keyfob or the exterior button on the door handle with tje doors closed. If you use the interior button, the door unlocks automatically if the door is open because they don't want you accidently locking your keyfob inside the car.

I think that is what roadside assistance plans are for, wouldn't calling the police to open your car door if you lock yourself out a misuse of the police?
    I'm certain that you're right about that being potential misuse, Doug. I wouldnt even consider it in a major urban area. They'd laugh and tell you to call a truck. But I've seen Police unlock a car a couple different times in mid-size towns. Depends on how busy they are.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So you're saying that the car recognized you were impersonating your wife and wouldn't let you drive. Crazy!

Note: what brand of vehicle do you have. I don't think this can happen with a Chevy without the car beeping at you.
    It's a 2007 Nissan Murano, it probably beeped as she walked away and I didn't hear it, it does beep several times if you close the door with the fob outside and the engine running but it will keep running without the fob just won't restart or allow you to use the outside door buttons to lock it.

Some vehicles will "make a noise" briefly when the fob leaves the vicinity and others will "make a noise" continuously...it depends up on the make and model. It's a very nice way to drive a passenger left in the running vehicle in the latter case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I just installed a keyless deadbolt our front door. the instructions tell you to change the master code and erase the default entry code. The codes are like 0000 and 1234
    Bill D
    I have keyless deadbolts on house and shop doors (great so I don't have to carry a key with me when I'm walking around the farm.) All the Schlage keypads I've bought do come with a default code but not a global master code as far as I can tell. I've bought eight deadbolt locks and they each have a different apparently random code. The codes are on stickers on the instructions but also inside the lock housing if you remove it from inside the building.

One potential problem with these locks is if you never carry a key and don't hide one outside somewhere you may be locked out if the battery runs down and the lock won't open. I have more than one lock on each building so I figure they won't all go dead at the same moment.

The 9v batteries on these, BTW, last for years. I thought the mechanism is clever: a tiny low-current electric motor turns a stainless steel spring used as a worm gear to move a catch to enable/disable the engagement of the deadbolt knob which otherwise freewheels.

These have worked flawlessly for years now. If anyone is interested I generally get this model: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJJ1MQ I use a passage lever so I can open the door from the outside with my elbow when my hands are full.

For my interior sunroom door I did put a different Schlage entry lock that has a lever but is not a deadbolt. I don't like it at all.

As for cars, my wife has a Murano with a keyless entry that uses a button on the handle to lock/unlock. We discovered a terrible thing about it - one cold day I grabbed the spare electronic keyfob to start and warm up the car, then put it back in the house since my wife always has her key fob in her purse. We drove 30 miles to the church and when leaving we discovered she DIDN'T have the keyfob that day! The car, once started, can be driven anywhere without the keyfob being in the vehicle but can't be restarted once turned off.

JKJ

JKJ

Had an interesting experience with keyless entry/ignition a while back. Wife and I went shopping, dropped her off at the store and went and parked the car. Tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, that's when I realized I had forgotten my fob at home and we had been using her fob. I was able to lock it using the lock button inside but if I'd had to restart the car I wouldn't have been able to. Still love the keyless system but it can fool you.
    I have had that happen a few times with my Lexus. Luckily I have caught it before the wife gets too far away from the car. Still she isn't any too happy about coming back to the car so I can lock it.

Still I love y keyless entry and push button start.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know the reason why a car can be driven with no fob present? That's how my Accord is & it seems most other cars as well. It's a terrible security hole, but there must be a good reason why it is so, I just haven't been able to think of it.

I'm not sure why that is Frank. You do at least need the fob to start the vehicle (including when using remote start), but once it's fully in run mode, not having the fob doesn't seem to matter with most vehicles that I'm aware of outside of the (hopefully) annoying sound that comes out when the device is perceived as missing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm not sure why that is Frank. You do at least need the fob to start the vehicle (including when using remote start), but once it's fully in run mode, not having the fob doesn't seem to matter with most vehicles that I'm aware of outside of the (hopefully) annoying sound that comes out when the device is perceived as missing.
    Mine does beep when leaving a running car, but I still think it would be better to have the engine shut off when someone attempts to drive off. In the winter it would be nice to be able to start the car & leave it running without having to worry about theft.