Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More About Keyless Entry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    I don't know, but I think the Factory Pass Code doesn't go away, how will the police get into the car without breaking a window if they can't use the FPC?
    So, maybe your theif was a cop?

I just installed a keyless deadbolt our front door. the instructions tell you to change the master code and erase the default entry code. The codes are like 0000 and 1234
    Bill D

Had an interesting experience with keyless entry/ignition a while back. Wife and I went shopping, dropped her off at the store and went and parked the car. Tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, that's when I realized I had forgotten my fob at home and we had been using her fob. I was able to lock it using the lock button inside but if I'd had to restart the car I wouldn't have been able to. Still love the keyless system but it can fool you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Had an interesting experience with keyless entry/ignition a while back. Wife and I went shopping, dropped her off at the store and went and parked the car. Tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, that's when I realized I had forgotten my fob at home and we had been using her fob. I was able to lock it using the lock button inside but if I'd had to restart the car I wouldn't have been able to. Still love the keyless system but it can fool you.
    So you're saying that the car recognized you were impersonating your wife and wouldn't let you drive. Crazy!

Note: what brand of vehicle do you have. I don't think this can happen with a Chevy without the car beeping at you.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 03-31-2019 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So you're saying that the car recognized you were impersonating your wife and wouldn't let you drive. Crazy!

Note: what brand of vehicle do you have. I don't think this can happen with a Chevy without the car beeping at you.
    It's a 2007 Nissan Murano, it probably beeped as she walked away and I didn't hear it, it does beep several times if you close the door with the fob outside and the engine running but it will keep running without the fob just won't restart or allow you to use the outside door buttons to lock it.

Some vehicles will "make a noise" briefly when the fob leaves the vicinity and others will "make a noise" continuously...it depends up on the make and model. It's a very nice way to drive a passenger left in the running vehicle in the latter case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I have had that happen a few times with my Lexus. Luckily I have caught it before the wife gets too far away from the car. Still she isn't any too happy about coming back to the car so I can lock it.

Still I love y keyless entry and push button start.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know the reason why a car can be driven with no fob present? That's how my Accord is & it seems most other cars as well. It's a terrible security hole, but there must be a good reason why it is so, I just haven't been able to think of it.

I'm not sure why that is Frank. You do at least need the fob to start the vehicle (including when using remote start), but once it's fully in run mode, not having the fob doesn't seem to matter with most vehicles that I'm aware of outside of the (hopefully) annoying sound that comes out when the device is perceived as missing.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm not sure why that is Frank. You do at least need the fob to start the vehicle (including when using remote start), but once it's fully in run mode, not having the fob doesn't seem to matter with most vehicles that I'm aware of outside of the (hopefully) annoying sound that comes out when the device is perceived as missing.
    Mine does beep when leaving a running car, but I still think it would be better to have the engine shut off when someone attempts to drive off. In the winter it would be nice to be able to start the car & leave it running without having to worry about theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Mine does beep when leaving a running car, but I still think it would be better to have the engine shut off when someone attempts to drive off. In the winter it would be nice to be able to start the car & leave it running without having to worry about theft.
    Here it is against the law to let a car run without someone in it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Here it is against the law to let a car run without someone in it.
    In colder climates it can be a matter of safety to let the engine run a couple of minutes so the defroster will function. Unfortunately that idea is horribly abused & you see vehicles (mostly pickups) left idling all the time.

On my Jeep using the remote to start the car locks the doors. If the door is opened then the car still cannot be driven until the keyfob is in the car and the operator manually presses the start button.

Besides warming the engine starting remotely when cold outside also turns on the seat heat. I don't use the remote start much but I do occasionally in our freezing winters. You know, when the temperature gets down below 40.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-01-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Remote start systems provide what you want without endangering the vehicle to drive offs...while the engine is running, the vehicle cannot be moved/put in Drive without the fob present and in most cases, a second push of the start button on the dash to fully start the vehicle's electrical systems. Remote start also generally locks the vehicle at the same time as the remote start. Some systems turn the vehicle off when the driver's door is unlocked and opened (our 2016 Subaru Outback Limited with Eyesight); others do not shut down (my preference) but require the second soft-start. (my 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit that I just sold) The new Subaru Ascent Touring I have on order has an updated remote start system that doesn't shut down when the driver door is unlocked but like the Jeep, requires a soft-start with the fob present in order to drive off.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-02-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    --

It would seem to me that the logical solution would be to require the fob in the car to shift the transmission out of park.