Thread: Couple of toys that may be of interest-

Couple of toys that may be of interest-

Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-30-2019 at 2:22 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm actually considering the water jet

Been toying with the water jet too. It would be a very fun toy to have around.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

While that waterjet is super cool, the material costs are bonkers. I want to say it was like $40 in grit alone to make the sprocket they showed in the vid!

Was is the cost? I am sure the grit is filtered and re-used. So neither the used water or grit can be used over, and the cost is around $8,000. The website is realistic unlike the GlowForge one.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-01-2019 at 1:39 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I will have to go find that video or two, but a you tuber put a few short videos out about making a water jet machine with the parts from an electric pressure washer. It worked quite well for the small amount he had in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Was is the cost? I am sure the grit is filtered and re-used. So neither the used water or grit can be used over, and the cost is around $8,000. The website is realistic unlike the GlowForge one.
    From their Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...et-cutter/faqs

They say the grit should not be reused, and in low quantities they plan on selling it for roughly $0.75/lb. From their main page they give some grit usage estimates. The sprocket used 56 lbs of grit, so $42 worth of grit during the 168 minute cut.

I'm sure many people can get lots of usage out of it, especially for rapid prototyping of stuff you'd later get cut with a more commercial operation, but it's pretty expensive to run. I think I read somewhere it uses more grit per inch of cut than industrial machines due to lower overall pressures, but then again it's not competing against industrial machines- it's trying to fill a niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I will have to go find that video or two, but a you tuber put a few short videos out about making a water jet machine with the parts from an electric pressure washer. It worked quite well for the small amount he had in it.
    That was Applied Science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc