Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powered Air Purifying Respirators

Powered Air Purifying Respirators

So I'm about done with using my GVS Elipse P100 Half Mask Respirator. I don't think it is nearly as effective as it should be, is not that comfortable and consequently I don't wear it as often as I should. I'm considering moving to an Powered Air Purifying Respirator but the choices are not as prolific as I's hoped. What I've come up with after quite a bit of searching are the follows:

Trend Airshield Pro - $395 - This seems to be one of the more popular with woodworkers. What I don't like is that the battery and filters are integrated into the headpiece which increases the overall weight to 2.1 lbs. I also don't like that it uses bag filters that are not hepa filters and the whole unit is not NIOSH rated. But it is overall one of the less expensive options. The battery life is 8 hours but it uses a Ni-MH battery instead of Lithium ion, also a minus.

JSP Powercap Active IP - $479.99 This appears to be the UK manufactured Axminster APF 10 Evolution re-marketed under a different name in the US. What I don't like is similar to the Trend. Batteries, motor and filtration integrated into into the headpiece. Although it is more of a traditional type of filters they do face where you are working and generating sawdust so they will clog faster much like a half mask. One plus is it weighs 1.51 lbs so it is a half pound lighter than the Trend. It uses Lithium ion batteries - 8 hour use.

3M Versaflow - Pricing ranging from ~$1,200 to $1,600+
    There are a couple options here. 3M used to market a Light Industry Kit, (3M™ Versaflo™ Light Industry PAPR Kit TR-300-LIK), with the 1.4 lb lighter weight M-206 headpiece, TR-307N Versaflo PAPR Assembly and the big plus was it also included ear protection with the M-985 Peltor Earmuff Assembly. The only Kit that now seems to be available is the 3M Versaflo Heavy Industry PAPR Kit TR-300-HIK which is a more expensive version with a hard had headpiece at 1.9 lbs. The ear protection is an option but it is not included in the kit. Fortunately I have found a vendor that sells all of the individual parts of the Light Industry Kit at a good bit lower than the Amazon pricing for the individual parts or the Heavy Industry Kit.

What I like about the Versafow it]s it is NIOSH approved and hepa filtration with the battery and filtration unit separate unit worn on a belt or harness which is behind the user so it is not facing the work area generating sawdust. The cost is much higher but I've learned that with quality tools you do get what you pay for so cost it is less of a concern if it is both more effective and more comfortable to wear.

What I don't know is if there are any other options that I should be considering. I can't seem to find again a unit that popped up in my early searches that seemed similar to the Versaflow in both design and weight that was of European manufacture. Has anyone here seen or used something else that is both lightweight and has the equal features/performance as the Versaflow?

If you have a Versaflow how do you like it? do you wear it often, all the time, or do you find it equally as cumbersome as a half mask?

If you have a Trend Airshield or JSP Powercap/Axminster AFP 10 same question?
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 03-30-2019 at 2:29 PM.

Check ebay for Racal they make both face and belt pumps and battery packs. 3M bought them out and changed the name. Interesting that the power cord has to be air sealed to maintain HEPA. My belt version uses regular D batteries easy to repalce when they no longer hold a charge.
    Bill D.

This what I have. paid about the same with no charger.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RACAL-Healt...8AAOSwK2JckH4u

I have the 3M Versaflo 600 series filtration unit with hard helmet. It is excellent. I needed more than just HEPA filtration, and they have filters available for zero exposure to finishes, cutting oil (I do a lot of metalworking), and other bad airborne elements.

Highly recommend spending the extra money.
    Jeff

I have owned the older version of the Trend, and found the weight tiring. I made up my own supplied air system, and just bring clean air in from outside. The Tyvek hood weighs nothing, and in hot weather, I use a little 120v air conditioner as the air pump. The Mylar face shield is completely clear, and distortion free. When the face shields get scratched up, mostly from being handled when not used, the hood is replaceable for about 25 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a 3M airstream 400 helmet. Battery sits on your belt. I found the battery heavy and the cord annoying so I replaced it with an external 5v/2amp usb battery which slips into the helmet. Really nice system but expensive. In the summer its nice to wear because the fan is cooling. I wear isotunes for ear protection.

I have the Trend Airshield Pro and really like it. Even though it's not Hepa I still feel it works well. As for regular non powered respirators most are a joke. IF you need a respirator for lung protection they need to be the right size and fit checked to make sure they seal properly. I'm required in my work to be fit tested annually to be in compliance with OSHA regulations. This involves being connected to a computerized monitor that monitors whether the seal is effective while both talking and various head turning, shaking, bending over etc. They do make a powder that can be used as well. It will make you cough if the respirator leaks but you will know if your respirator works.

Thanks for the responses. 2 votes for the Versaflo, 1 for the Trend, 1 for the Racal and 1 for a homebuilt with a tyvek hood. I'm a little wary of the Racal based on that ebay link. Ill have to research it further. The tyvek hood seems to be a lot of hassle but way cheap. I was hoping to hear from someone that has the JSP Powercap. I'm still leaning towards a Versaflow. I wish it wasn't so darned expensive. I think I'll continue to do some more research though before pulling the trigger on anything.

the racal is a top end unit now owned by 3m under a new name. The reason for the name change is obvious from a ebay search. There were at least 3 or 4 racal companies making different products. One made computer power supplies. one made stuff with capacitors. One made computer routers.
    And one made supplied air masks with power supplies and chargers that could be used when running a router or computerized cnc machine. I think they also made units for fire fighting with an air tank.
    Bill D

The Airshield works well. To me, it doesn't feel heavy when worn for a few hours at a time. I really don't notice it when I'm in the midst of working in my shop and concentrating on other things. Plus, when turning, the face shield offers protection also.

I have never felt that a mask is the main line of dust filtration in the shop. It is only one part of a multi-facet system to filter out dust. A HEPA dust collector (HEPA vac for smaller tools like sanders), an air filtration unit (in my case mounted on the ceiling), and then the Airshield.

In the end you'll make your own decision. Here is some food for thought.

The Trend and the Tyvek hood that Tom is wearing, in that photo, are used radiologically contaminated, airborne, environments. We have dozens and dozens of the Trends at work, and probably a couple hundred,at any given time, of the air fed type hood Tom is wearing.
    The Tyvek hood is sued in asbestos removal,but there is a suit that accompanies the hood.

I'm not familiar with the others,but the two I referred to, I can absolutely vouch for. You will never abuse, or use, one the way we do in a nuclear power plant in your garage. We do some nasty, nasty, work in them.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-31-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

another vote for the 3M airstream 400.I picked up money used for $500. I don't use it a lot but it seems to do the job. The filters are not cheap. HEPA filters are available.

The racal I have was called the 3m airmate now versaflow.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    For me this would have the similar issues as I have with my Elipse. It covers the mouth and nose closely and it doesn't cover the head. It also puts the breathing tube in the front so you will be likely to have it interfere with your work. However for the price in comparison to the other 3 it sure is attractive as an alternative.

I'm not familiar with many of these units either but I saw this one the other day:
    http://www.ashleyharwood.com/item/su...apr-respirator
    Has anyone here used one of these?