Thread: Hinged lids on coffee table / blanket chest

Hinged lids on coffee table / blanket chest

Hey all. First time posting on the design forum.
    I'm making a coffee table that will double as a blanket chest. I've been designing this on the fly and now at the point where I need to think about how to attach hinged lids so that they have a place to land when closed. The stock you see is 1 inch ponderosa pine. I would prefer 3/4" lids (less heavy) but will settle for 1 inch. How should I go about making this from here so the lid has something to land on when closed? Thanks in advance.

20190329_000715.jpg
    20190329_185455.jpg
    20190329_185053.jpg

I would probably consider routing a rabbet around the perimeter (sides and front) leaving 1/4”-3/8” lip for the lid. Other option is to add a thin frame to the underside smaller than the opening. You could also just rabbet the front edge of both the case and the lid to fit together (sort of a half lap at the front). Whatever you do, you’ll likely need to slightly camber the front lip to set into the opening.

Are you considering a pull of some sort...maybe like this?
    03155E9A-D2E5-4104-B761-BC72E8CEABB2.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    ...add a thin frame to the underside smaller than the opening...
    This is simple.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

With all due respect, I am at a loss to understand the design. The only hinge axis appears to be (in my increasingly limited mind) on the top outside edge of the corner posts. Otherwise, the lid will not be able to clear the back when opened. I came to this realization when working on a small box using my usual seat of the pants 'build then design' process.

Am I missing something? Do they make lifting hinges that mount in the interior of the box that are sufficiently strong to support the weight of the lid when opened. For child safety, can a configuration similar the toy box hinges be used?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

David, I’m interpreting the design as being two lids for the two openings through the top.

David, I’m interpreting the design as being two lids for the two openings through the top.
    Same way I see it Phil. I've toyed with the idea of using gas lifts like these with push touch catches. Would need the thin frame / stops on the underside of the lid too.

Thank you, gentlemen for clarifying my murkiness. There is only a small chance that I could have found the solution myself once this flu leaves my body. With the odds against me, though, I really appreciate the assist. I had not heard of the push activated air pistons. Nice innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Same way I see it Phil. I've toyed with the idea of using gas lifts like these with push touch catches. Would need the thin frame / stops on the underside of the lid too.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Correct (I need 10 characters so added this)

I would probably consider routing a rabbet around the perimeter (sides and front) leaving 1/4”-3/8” lip for the lid. Other option is to add a thin frame to the underside smaller than the opening. You could also just rabbet the front edge of both the case and the lid to fit together (sort of a half lap at the front). Whatever you do, you’ll likely need to slightly camber the front lip to set into the opening.

Are you considering a pull of some sort...maybe like this?
    03155E9A-D2E5-4104-B761-BC72E8CEABB2.jpeg

Exactly what my thoughts were right down to the recessed pulls.

I thought about the rabbit but it takes from the design with 5 inch outside and 4 inch center boards. In hindsight I would have made the boards larger to accomplish this but i bought just enough 6/4 lumber for the beefy top.

I was also considering 3/8 dowels and set them so the lids are 3/4" thick. Or, some type of L-brackets thick enough for the lid to catch.

I like the idea of gas lifts that are push to open. Do you have a link to something like this?

hey Michael - the gas struts cab be found here:
    Apexstone 2pcs 300N/67LB 15inch Gas Spring/Prop/Strut/Shock/Lift Support with L-type Mounts:

and there are many push touch latches: like these

after thinking about your application, it occurs to me that this might not be the best solution. If you put a bowl of chips on the top and someone leans on it, it may open and deposit the chips on the floor. Along with whatever else is on the top. But I am going to try this setup on my next humidor. Can't have too many humidors, ya know.

This is what I did.

20190409_223444.jpg

Some simple L brackets and connector things hanging out just far enough to catch the closed lid.

I ended up choosing these for pulls. Screenshot_20190402-134654_Chrome.jpg

And that last picture was terrible.