Thread: Firearm Engraving Questions

Question Firearm Engraving Questions

Hi all! So, I'm still working out all the details (dealing with ATF, they are behind because of the gov shutdown) and figuring out what machine I'll be purchasing (currently a TYKMA is probably going to win). My questions are more about the firearm engraving/marking itself. I've been trying to Google Ninja this for months, but really having some issues finding a lot of information on it.
    1. a) Do you have customers bring entire firearms to you, or do you make them disassemble the firearms, before bringing the part in?
    b) Are you charging to disassemble if you do bring in complete firearms?
    c) How do you handle part management of firearms you do have to disassemble? I would think boxes of parts would take up a lot of space in a safe.
    d) I know the firearms I own, inside-and-out... but there are thousands that I've never handled. How do you go about training yourself on smithing a firearm you've never had to disassemble before?
    2. a) How much care do you put into cleaning the firearm before engraving/marking? Are you using an auto-cleaner?
    b) If the firearm comes in quite dirty, do you charge more for cleaning? What if the cleaning costs are normally just included in the rest of the costs?
    3. I imagine every coating/finish is going to engrave differently, even between lot numbers of the same item. So, how do you determine your settings on a firearm/coating/finish that you've never engraved before? Same goes for the stocks and grips; they are all manufactured out of different types of plastic. When working on expensive items, mistakes can be pricey.
    4. a) Protecting the engraving afterwards... Lets say you just finished a Glock17 deep engraving. Now that you have this nice raw metal exposed and the colored coating giving it a great contrast, how are you protecting that raw metal? I assume that the firearm will rust pretty quickly, without some kind of coating. But doing something like Cerakote would just dull the engraving you just did, not to mention the need for at least two more machines and a lot more space.
    b) How about on a blued firearm? Do you burn through the bluing and coat everything afterwards with something? Do you just strip the whole gun, engrave, and then re-blue the firearm?
    c) How about those rare items? Take for instance a service used Colt 1911 from the early 1900s? How about a M1 from the 1800s? The customer probably doesn't want to reblue them or coat them in a new fancy Cerakote. How do you protect these old firearms?
    5. a) Most firearm engraving I would assume will be custom. Everyone wants something different, hence them wanting the engraving to begin with. Do you charge a designing fee? I assume this would be done on an hourly basis.
    b) Even if the customer brings in their own designs, they will generally need to be changed to work with lasering. Is this a different charge than a total design job? ie: different cost p/hr

Thank you for any help, in advance! I'm quite nervous about this possible business endeavor and am quite trigger shy to make the big purchase. Note: I recently closed a side business I had, due to inability to make a profit worth the work. This is why I'm so nervous... Thank again!
    I own no lasers... I've never used a laser... I could really use some help.

My quick n' dirty response (no puns intended):

Do not disassemble customer firearms. Have them do it. Nothing is worse than losing a detent because you tried to do the right thing to fit your fixture...

To my second point, have fixtures for various builds and/or generics. Clamps and shims welcomed.

I have never offered refinishing. Let the customer do it. State so much ahead of engravings. I have *never* had a complaint from saying as much.

Don't engrave rarities and heirlooms. I turn them down because I don't believe they ought be lasered/messed with. Never had a complaint...that I heard

Design time will shorten with experience. Do not change your setup charge accordingly. Asking a customer to pay what a job is worth is just in my opinion.

Many of my customers submit graphics as vector-based: I offer a reduced setup charge accordingly, but charge nonetheless for scaling, color manipulation, lineweights etc.

If you have no laser experience, do your research. I recently bought an Ebay fiber based off Kev's post. I am very happy and have no regrets. If I had done so out the gate with no hands-on experience I would be thoroughly frustrated and wrecking parts.

As far as laser settings, you'll have to learn the hard way, using info online as a guide. Even apples to apples methods will vary, especially based on manufacturers and software.

All of this is intended to be friendly, I mean no offense. This forum and its' people are a great resource. Post back and keep us posted.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Chris hit pretty much every point as I would have done. Never, never, never, disassemble a customer firearm. I did that one time, a 1911 that I could disassemble in my sleep, and they claimed I damaged it. I asked them bring it back and show me the damage so that I could have it repaired and they never did...

The one thing I'll disagree with Chris - I would engrave pretty much anything someone brought it. If it was something extremely rare I would probably not do it, but in 13 years nobody has ever brought in something that rare.

Design charges are usually on a case by case basis, no two are usually alike, and you can almost bet that the vector graphic your customer brings in will need work, lots of it. The exception was the required ATF markings for SBR/NFA, etc., those had a fixed charge just to make it easy. I had templates laid out for most firearms and those that I didn't took me just a couple of minutes to create.

Before you engrave any firearms make sure you have a fixture/vise/etc/ that will 100% hold it in place with no possibility of movement. Also ensure you can check the engraving and place it back EXACTLY where it was so you can engrave it again if needed. A bit of time spent creating jigs and fixtures will pay you back many times over. I recently bought a 3D printer and wish that I would have bought it sooner - the ability to make fixtures with it would have saved me countless hours.

Buy LEGO's - trust me, they are awesome for fixtures for almost any job you can bring it. I have a big Tupperware container full of 1x and 2x blocks of various lengths, and a stack of 6x6 and 12x12 plates. I can build a LEGO fixture in no time and take a picture of it so I can rebuild it later if needed. Believe it or not, they hold tolerance to .0005"!

Buy your machine, practice with it until you have your FFL and then do perfect work with impeccable service - there is a ton of $ to be made just doing firearms!

Much of this will be redundant, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Perry View Post
    Hi all! So, I'm still working out all the details (dealing with ATF, they are behind because of the gov shutdown) and figuring out what machine I'll be purchasing (currently a TYKMA is probably going to win). My questions are more about the firearm engraving/marking itself. I've been trying to Google Ninja this for months, but really having some issues finding a lot of information on it.
    1. a) Do you have customers bring entire firearms to you, or do you make them disassemble the firearms, before bringing the part in?
    ---I always requested they bring as little of the gun as possible.

b) Are you charging to disassemble if you do bring in complete firearms?
    ---N/A, they disassemble, but you can upcharge a bit if they don't (harder to clamp whole guns)

c) How do you handle part management of firearms you do have to disassemble? I would think boxes of parts would take up a lot of space in a safe.
    ---Ditto

d) I know the firearms I own, inside-and-out... but there are thousands that I've never handled. How do you go about training yourself on smithing a firearm you've never had to disassemble before?
    ---Ditto again

2. a) How much care do you put into cleaning the firearm before engraving/marking? Are you using an auto-cleaner?
    ---Wipe with a rag or paper towel if needed

b) If the firearm comes in quite dirty, do you charge more for cleaning? What if the cleaning costs are normally just included in the rest of the costs?
    ---See 2. a) -- never had a 'dirty' firearm show up, most owners keep 'em clean

3. I imagine every coating/finish is going to engrave differently, even between lot numbers of the same item. So, how do you determine your settings on a firearm/coating/finish that you've never engraved before? Same goes for the stocks and grips; they are all manufactured out of different types of plastic. When working on expensive items, mistakes can be pricey.
    ---In MY house, plastics and woods get done with a C02, NOT a fiber. For grips, inform the customer you'll be removing a grip and test engraving on the back side. My test engraving is whatever year it is in 1/8" bold Arial, whether it goes good or not so good, at least it looks like it was supposed to be there

4. a) Protecting the engraving afterwards... Lets say you just finished a Glock17 deep engraving. Now that you have this nice raw metal exposed and the colored coating giving it a great contrast, how are you protecting that raw metal? I assume that the firearm will rust pretty quickly, without some kind of coating. But doing something like Cerakote would just dull the engraving you just did, not to mention the need for at least two more machines and a lot more space.
    ---I have bare and engraved steel stuff that's been kicking around here for years that's not the least bit rusty. The engraving on a cleaned and oiled gun will likely never rust, other than say dropping it in a mud puddle or something... Rubbing a little gun oil in the engraving is all YOU need to do, up the customer for anything further.
    ---Cerakote- if you're going there, find someone local who does Cerakote and let them do it. You'll not have the hassle, and their customers will likely soon be YOUR customers

b) How about on a blued firearm? Do you burn through the bluing and coat everything afterwards with something? Do you just strip the whole gun, engrave, and then re-blue the firearm?
    ---Engraving blued items is no problem, but don't ever rub the surface with anything the least bit abrasive. No steel wool, no magic erasers, no scotchbrite, ANY of those will lighten the bluing. Re-bluing is supposed to be cake but what if the customer doesn't want the engraving blued? Treat it gentle

c) How about those rare items? Take for instance a service used Colt 1911 from the early 1900s? How about a M1 from the 1800s? The customer probably doesn't want to reblue them or coat them in a new fancy Cerakote. How do you protect these old firearms?
    ---If you get comfortable engraving people's Glock's, no reason to not engrave rare stuff. I recently diamond engraved a 130-something year old pocket watch... If you DO, do so with a warning to the customer, you're only human, and even if you're doing everything right, what if the power goes out halfway thru an engraving....

5. a) Most firearm engraving I would assume will be custom. Everyone wants something different, hence them wanting the engraving to begin with. Do you charge a designing fee? I assume this would be done on an hourly basis.
    ---Actually you'll likely find most engraving won't be so custom, usually just text. If they want graphics, you'll have to do some time estimating, which comes with practice. Nice thing about prepping graphics, you can learn to do it in your spare time, just google something, anything YOU might like to engrave, and prep it. Practice...

b) Even if the customer brings in their own designs, they will generally need to be changed to work with lasering. Is this a different charge than a total design job? ie: different cost p/hr
    ---Ditto, time estimating needed. Some graphics you'll get will be good to go vector art-- on a good day

Thank you for any help, in advance! I'm quite nervous about this possible business endeavor and am quite trigger shy to make the big purchase. Note: I recently closed a side business I had, due to inability to make a profit worth the work. This is why I'm so nervous... Thank again!
    =====================
    This post is a bit timely, as I just found out today from one of my gun barrel customers, that the ATF agent who served me my order to Cease and Desist, has been fired, due to 'abuse of power' complaints. My customer also told me that, according to a couple of other agents he's been speaking to lately, the 'rules of law' that were applied against me, don't actually exist.
    And further, the agents agree that MY version of the legal requirements pertaining to needing a gunsmithing FFL are dead on the money- the gist of which is:

IF gun engraving is NOT your major source of engraving income,
    AND you're not engraving 'restricted' firearms or parts without the owner present,
    AND dealers needing serial number engraving who can't do so in-house provides the engraver with the necessary ATF variance--
    THEN-- a gunsmithing FFL is NOT necessary!

I will be calling my local ATF bureau sometime next week to discuss... should be a good talk, considering I had a complete blessing and Go-Ahead from ATF agent Nate Palmer 3 years before I was served my C&D...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Probably half my firearms engraving is slides. All you need is the slide. And with that, for most all handguns, these are not serialized parts. Easy for you to just engrave and hand back. No gov'mint paperwork, no log needed. Serialized lowers, yep....
    Bring me just the lower if at all possible. I don't have them remove stock on ARs. But is much easier if it is not there. I don't offer cerakoting. THAT is a whole different game. Get training if you want to do that, and yep, you have to TOTALLY disassemble and degrease every piece you are coating or it screws up finish. I can't see much money to be made there, a LOT of work taking these guns apart. But I digress. No I don't coat any metal. Nor clean other that wiping off the dust/rust created by the laser.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Most shops that do firearm laser engraving do cerakote also. I offer cerakote and I have not got certified mainly because it’s so expensive to be certified and it really isn’t worth it. You have to go to Portland Oregon and pay $2000. Cerakote can be learned off of YouTube and really isn’t anything special. I have had no complaints and told I do great work. Just disassemble Gun, acetone soak, sandblast, gas out bake at 300, then you spray on the coating using an airbrush or hvlp spray gun and bake the coating on. It is a lot more work for the money than just doing laser engraving but it opens the door for you to do a lot of custom gun work. Like doing Inlay with cerakote In engraved areas and doing theme color jobs. But cerakote is more work and you will need a sand blaster, spray gun, a acetone tank and an oven. I use a $70 electric kitchen oven and it works great. Check out different gun shops for pricing on what they do. Here is one http://www.odinsworkshop.com/laser-engraving Just look and see what your competition is doing and their pricing and base that off to your prices and such.

Hey all, thanks so much for the replies! Random hospital stay happened, just after this post went up, so I'm sorry about the slow reply. I'll read this over and respond to each of you, soon, thanks!

It came off friendly to me, so no worries! This was very helpful, thank you!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to each part of my questions! I don't plan to mess around with the ATF stuff, and just get the highest FFL that should cover all situations I could find myself in.

Thank you for the help!

Yeah, I've been kind of stuck on whether or not I'll be adding things like bluing and cerakote to my services. Perhaps it would be best to add these services, after I've gotten into it a bit. Thanks so much for the input!