Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Bandsaw

Delta Bandsaw

Hi, I'm new to this site and eager to learn from you all! I don't know if I posted in the correct thread, so I'm sorry if I am in the wrong place.

I have a Delta 14" bandsaw (28-275) and the upper bracket (holding the blade guide blocks and thrust bearing; part number 426-02-089-0002) is literally disintegrating in front of me. It seems like a cheap cast iron part that is full of cracks.

I am looking around for a replacement bracket and find that the part is discontinued everywhere I look online. I would really hate to just throw away the whole bandsaw because of this one part - so does anyone have an idea of a workaround part that I could buy? Or a way to fabricate one? (I'm guessing a 3D-printed part wouldn't be strong enough for it, but I do have access to one if that is an option that people think would work.)

Any help someone could provide would be appreciated. Thank you!

Tim

You might look at Carter products, and their blade guide.

Hello, I found a good picture of guide on ereplacements.com, the hard part of making one from scratch is the hex parts of the guide, might could make one with round holes and replace the shafts it fits on, will look at mine tomorrow to see how hard it would be. Hate to throw it away for something that minor. Jim

4. There are a lot of 14" cast iron bandsaws that are essentially clones of the old delta design. Quite a few are still being made. I be surprised if the parts didn't fit, but if they didn't adapting them would be easier than building parts from scratch.

Also as was mentioned the Carter kit is an option.

Tim,

You might try Iturra Design. He carries some parts and upgrades for Delta and Jet 14" bandsaws. If he doesn't have that guide bracket he might know where to get it. While your at it ask him for a catalogue - besides parts and tools it's like a bandsaw information book. Real nice guy too. I don't think he as a web site.

KALLL@comcast.net
    904-642-2802

JKJ

You might be able to find what you need on Ebay.

Thanks, Patrick! I will check it out.

Thanks for checking that for me, Jim!

Thank you, John! I emailed him.

Thanks, Don. I had checked that but hadn't seen what I was looking for. Maybe with the idea of looking at general bandsaw guides, I will have more success.

Thanks for checking that for me, David. I found that site too - unfortunately the part is discontinued.

That is a really interesting idea. What brands are you talking about?

Thank you for your response, Pete!

14. Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leugs View Post
    That is a really interesting idea. What brands are you talking about?

Thank you for your response, Pete!
    You might look into Jet, Grizzly, Harbor Freight, and Shop Fox who I think all still currently sell a 14" cast iron Delta clone. Then there are many others that have been sold in the past. Pretty much any cast iron 14" bandsaw is a possible candidate. Sears has been good in the past about having parts and they sold a similar saw under their Craftsman brand.

Personally, my best guess would be that the Jet would be a good fit, you can probably find someone online with a Jet who can take a few measurements to see if it will fit. I would think that if you knew the diameter of the tube it fits on and studied the pictures of the Jet and Delta kits on the Carter page you'd have a good idea of what it would take to make it fit or it it was a bolt on fit.
    Some pictures that might help compare models for possible fit in the links below. You should be able to get parts from Jet or Grizzly if they fit and may best guess is that they would. Maybe someone can verify whether that is the case.
    https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...kits/delta-14#
    https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...on-kits/jet-14
    https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...its/grizzly-14

You could watch E-Bay for the part, or if it's a US-made bandsaw, join the Old Woodworking Machines forum (owwm.org) and put a want-ad in the classifieds section. In the unlikely event that you can't find the part you need, then I'm pretty sure that Carter and Laguna make aftermarket guides for that saw. If it came to that I would just change the upper guides and keep the stock guides on the bottom.