Thread: Anyone else use a carpet straight edge?

Anyone else use a carpet straight edge?

About a year ago, I met a wonderful jack of all trades who was retiring and selling his tools. This turned into about two evenings of stories and tips from a pro. One thing he introduced me to was a six foot carpet straight edge. It is a 6’ x 3” x 1/8” piece of spring steel with machined edges. I bought his and it is excellent for wood working. It’s not Starrett straight but it’s plenty good for adjusting jointer beds or table extensions and for drawing a nice straight line. I’ve never heard anyone else mention one but I think it would be tough to find another 72” straightedge with better tolerance at a lower price.

I’m not sure what brand mine is (it’s green) but here’s a link to the Crain website for an example: https://www.craintools.com/carpet/ot...ight-edges/113

Anyone else use one?

I keep a four foot one in its shipping tube and pull it out for special jobs. Have used it for a couple years.

Never heard of them before, but they look interesting and useful.

Thanks for posting!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I keep a four foot one in its shipping tube and pull it out for special jobs. Have used it for a couple years.
    I also have a 4' one. Mine was very old when I acquired it, wide but a little thinner and certainly not kept in a shipping tube ( ) - I hang it on the wall with my levels and other straight edges. Very handy for some things.

JKJ

Never heard of that, but if it's .001 or 2 per foot accurate, then it would be good for adjusting machines.

Have a 4' accurate straight edge for aligning jointer, bandsaw, etc...
    But was at Lowes and they had a 6' ruler (yard stick?), bought it and use ir for
    marking wood, etc... not accurate to .oo1" but more than adequate for wood...
    Very handy
    Lowes item #, etc

Item # 119896 Model # AE144

Swanson Tool Company Straight Edges 6-ft Metal Ruler

Probably other borgs have something similiar...