Thread: Joinery/Expansion Question

Joinery/Expansion Question

I am thinking about building a Stickley side table such as one this one: https://www.stickley.com/furniture/l...und-end-table/

The table has a shelf that is pinned to the legs, but the top of the legs are attached by cross rails that are mortised into the legs. Is there enough flex in the legs to compensate for expansion/contraction of the shelf? I assume there is, as this is a fairly old Stickley design.
    Chris

If you make it with quartersawn white oak absolutely no worries. Any other hardwood it should be OK.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    If you make it with quartersawn white oak absolutely no worries. Any other hardwood it should be OK.

Bob Lang

Thanks for the info...I do plan on using quarter swan white oak.
    Chris

It really depends on how much the humidity changes seasonally in your locale. I would guess that in NE Florida, it is fairly humid year-round. At a 9% change in EMC (quite extreme), QSWO moves about 1/64" per inch of width. The shelf of table you referenced has a width of about 22", so a maximum of 11/32" movement. This Stickley design has been around a long while, so it will most likely hodl up without difficulties. As a precaution, you might want to pin the through mortise & tenons connecting upper stretchers to the legs.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    I am thinking about building a Stickley side table such as one this one: https://www.stickley.com/furniture/l...und-end-table/

The table has a shelf that is pinned to the legs, but the top of the legs are attached by cross rails that are mortised into the legs. Is there enough flex in the legs to compensate for expansion/contraction of the shelf? I assume there is, as this is a fairly old Stickley design.
    There are entire books full of the exact designs they used, so you can see how it was originally done (if there's any doubt.) They didn't have central air back then, so they tended to be accommodating of wood movement.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    It really depends on how much the humidity changes seasonally in your locale. I would guess that in NE Florida, it is fairly humid year-round. At a 9% change in EMC (quite extreme), QSWO moves about 1/64" per inch of width. The shelf of table you referenced has a width of about 22", so a maximum of 11/32" movement. This Stickley design has been around a long while, so it will most likely hodl up without difficulties. As a precaution, you might want to pin the through mortise & tenons connecting upper stretchers to the legs.
    Thanks...While it is humid here, we tend to run the heat pump a lot which de-humidifies the house....
    Last edited by Christian Hawkshaw; 03-29-2019 at 2:00 PM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    There are entire books full of the exact designs they used, so you can see how it was originally done (if there's any doubt.) They didn't have central air back then, so they tended to be accommodating of wood movement.

Thanks. I actually have "Making Authentic Craftsman Furniture: Instructions and Plans for 62 Projects". That is how I new the shelf was pinned to the legs. There a quite a few Stickley designs that use this technique, so I was always curious about wood movement issues.
    Chris