Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hall of the Mountain King

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Looking pretty cool Thomas.
    Your shop is looking cooler because it is almost done.

I googled the Blind Mark Locators. Did you like them? I will be using T1-11 on the inside and don't want to mess up too many sheets with all the outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Your shop is looking cooler because it is almost done.

I googled the Blind Mark Locators. Did you like them? I will be using T1-11 on the inside and don't want to mess up too many sheets with all the outlets.
    Definitely. Just make sure to keep the orientation correct.

Week 5

I thought there might be a delay in getting the concrete work started. I should never have doubted. The concrete crew showed up on Saturday to get started. I have had a full, three-man crew on my job all day everyday this week except Sunday.

SaturdayWork.jpg

Here is where they were on Sunday. In the foreground are Tony and Anne. Tony and I have done many projects over the years, including my favorite project. We did a small production run of Queen Anne style round top tea tables. The goal was to finish them as Christmas presents for our mothers, wives, sisters, and sisters-in-law. We each got one finished by Christmas which went to our mother's. The rest dribbled out until summer. I think I made seven tables and Tony made six. I still have all the jigs and enough parts to make three more tables. I wrote the process up and submitted it to Fine Woodworking. First, I got a letter saying they would be publishing it soon. Then, I got a letter saying they would not. I still have the letter (and the article). I will see if I can find a picture of a tea table.

Tony misses my old shop almost as much as I do. He asked when the living quarters would be done on the new shop.

TonyAndAnn.jpg

By Wednesday when I left the lake, they were putting up the inside wall of the form.

StartingInnerSideForm.jpg

The form for the lowest corner has to work up the steps in the foundation. I think the basement wall on the lower side will be 2x6 on 12" centers rather than concrete.

LowestCorner.jpg

Weather has been good all week. I suspect that by today, Friday, the forms are complete and the concrete will be poured today or Monday. The builder has not contacted me.

Week 5 Timber frame

Here are some pictures from the office manager at the timber framer of the test fit yesterday, Thursday. There is also a video at their instagram site.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-7WL3AWHx/

This is the test fit. I think it looks good. They also appear to be ahead of schedule. The contract sets the date for erection as May 20 which seems possible on both ends. This is even better than Christmas for a three year old.

TF 5.2.19 1.jpg
    TF 5.2.19 2.jpg
    TF 5.2.19 7.jpg
    TF 5.2.19 8.jpg
    TF 5.2.19 12.jpg
    TF 5.2.19 13.jpg

Dang...that timber frame looks awesome! It's really great that test fitting like that can be done...less kinks in the field. (Hopefully)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dang...that timber frame looks awesome! It's really great that test fitting like that can be done...less kinks in the field. (Hopefully)
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I saw some of my friend's house go up and it was incredible. They did it the same way - made every cut in the shop (somewhere in northern VA I think) then hauled it all to TN to assemble. The frame went up very quickly.

I wish I had pictures like that of my house, both in the shop and going up on site, especially with the big 8x10 and 6x12 beams. I suspect everything fits well with this method as long as the foundation is right (and if it's assembled right away before any warping!). Ours is built on concrete piers and I didn't find one shim in the crawl space.

Thomas, I'll be waiting for your call when this goes up - I'd love to see some of the erection of the frame first-hand! This is one exciting time! Hey, have you considered putting a camera on a tripod to shoot a time-lapse for a video? Some digital cameras have this built in or you can get inexpensive intervalometer for some cameras. The multi-year time lapse videos were the most interesting part of the documentation I did of the SNS in Oak Ridge, at least to me! To catch more than one day you can devise a way to re-register tripod every morning.

JKJ

Looks fantastic Thomas. I hope they have a BIG door!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Looks fantastic Thomas. I hope they have a BIG door!
    Ha! You should see the trailer they use to haul it. It is like those for the ready made garden sheds but much, much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I saw some of my friend's house go up and it was incredible. They did it the same way - made every cut in the shop (somewhere in northern VA I think) then hauled it all to TN to assemble. The frame went up very quickly.

I wish I had pictures like that of my house, both in the shop and going up on site, especially with the big 8x10 and 6x12 beams. I suspect everything fits well with this method as long as the foundation is right (and if it's assembled right away before any warping!). Ours is built on concrete piers and I didn't find one shim in the crawl space.

Thomas, I'll be waiting for your call when this goes up - I'd love to see some of the erection of the frame first-hand! This is one exciting time! Hey, have you considered putting a camera on a tripod to shoot a time-lapse for a video? Some digital cameras have this built in or you can get inexpensive intervalometer for some cameras. The multi-year time lapse videos were the most interesting part of the documentation I did of the SNS in Oak Ridge, at least to me! To catch more than one day you can devise a way to re-register tripod every morning.

JKJ
    Hey Jim and John,

Fingers crossed, but yeah they are doing everything to make raising day go smoothly. My sister-in-law’s barn went up very fast. They had one beam that did not fit. The crew that erects is the same that cuts the joinery. They set up their sawhorses on the slab, got out the drills and planers and saws and chisels, and made a new beam on the spot. It only took a few minutes.

I feel pretty confident about the builder’s crews. They use laser transits all the time. But a foot too short would be bad at this point.

John, the call will be soon. The TF shop foreman will be coming for site inspection this week or early next. The actual day for the raising will probably be determined by when the foundation is ready. I have not talked to the builder since last week. It is hard to talk to him during the day because cell coverage around the lake is very spotty. I will get an estimate soon. I said I would see if I could figure out how to set up my GoPro camera for time lapse. I have never used it for anything much. Now that I am reminded of it, I will get out the manual and figure out the settings.

That's going to be a fine looking building, Thomas, in a beautiful setting!

I'll throw in my suggestion for time lapse pictures of frame assembly. I have a trail/game camera that has a timed setting. I set it up on top of an 8' step ladder and had it set to take pics I think every 10 min on the day we stood all the exterior walls on my new shop. It was awesome to look back and see the progression as the day wore on. 10 min intervals was too long though. I think every 5 min would've been better, or even 1 min (or less?) if you have enough capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    That's going to be a fine looking building, Thomas, in a beautiful setting!

I'll throw in my suggestion for time lapse pictures of frame assembly. I have a trail/game camera that has a timed setting. I set it up on top of an 8' step ladder and had it set to take pics I think every 10 min on the day we stood all the exterior walls on my new shop. It was awesome to look back and see the progression as the day wore on. 10 min intervals was too long though. I think every 5 min would've been better, or even 1 min (or less?) if you have enough capacity.
    I have a GoPro and a Bushnell trail cam. Surely I will be able to figure out something for time lapse. The timber frame company's facebook page has at least one time lapse of erection at another job. Maybe they will be taking pictures for mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I have a GoPro and a Bushnell trail cam. Surely I will be able to figure out something for time lapse. The timber frame company's facebook page has at least one time lapse of erection at another job. Maybe they will be taking pictures for mine too.
    Cool! Maybe you could even set them both up from different perspectives.

Blog Entries
    I realize it is only the 21st, but the 20th was yesterday. Any photos from the erection of the timber frame? Some of us are anxiously waiting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    I realize it is only the 21st, but the 20th was yesterday. Any photos from the erection of the timber frame? Some of us are anxiously waiting!!!
    Tom sent a note yesterday - the raising is now set for this morning (the 22nd). I'm headed that way in a bit to watch.

JKJ

The frame is up. It is regal. I have Time Lapse from my Go Pro and video from my iPhone that I will post whenI figure out how to do it. The pace of construction continues to outstrip the pace of reporting. It is a good problem to have.