Thread: First piece of furniture, a pecan kennel

First piece of furniture, a pecan kennel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M7zsFZanRRhM4tmT7

I’m pretty proud, this is my first piece of furniture. Made completely from pecan, using mostly dominos and a few pocket holes. No plans or sketchup model, just a sticky note pencil drawing. However, I won’t do that again, I now see the value in a good drawing. There were too many head scratching moments, some because of my mistakes, but I think a better plan could have eliminated some of those.

The finish is black stained pores and danish oil. Yes, I stained everything black. Then used a card scraper to remove the rest, leaving the pores black. It was an accidental find, but in the end all that work was worth the effort.

Absolutely stunning. First build-hard to believe. Love the finish.

I like your design and your workmanship looks pretty darned good to me as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Fairweather View Post
    Absolutely stunning. First build-hard to believe. Love the finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I like your design and your workmanship looks pretty darned good to me as well.
    Thanks guys, it definitely is my first. I’ve been lurking for quite some time, reading and watching everything I can that interests me and that helped me greatly. Plus, I’ve had my hands on a lot of other small projects to learn the basics of milling. It did take a while, around three months for me to complete, working off and on as I could since I average 60 hours a week at work.

I have have started out with a lot of wood turning, but this flat work is growing on me.

Nice work, especially for your first build. Love the finish. Now, if only the dog approves! Good luck with that one.
    Again, nice work.
    Steve
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Very nice piece, Ken. Astounding compared to mine! I really like the black in the pores. Scraping the stain off must have taken just a little while, but the results look great.

John

Love it. I'll bet it weighs a ton.

What a great idea. Sure fits into the home better than those traditional kennel boxes. Really nice job, looks fantastic.

Awesome job. I would love to make one but to make it big enough for our 70 lb dog it would be too big. But his current kennel sure is fuggly. Thanks for sharing.

That turned out very well!

I wasn’t sure about the finish before I saw the pictures—now I may copy that finish in the future.

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Nice work, especially for your first build. Love the finish. Now, if only the dog approves! Good luck with that one.
    Again, nice work.
    Steve
    Thanks!!

Thankfully, they do!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Very nice piece, Ken. Astounding compared to mine! I really like the black in the pores. Scraping the stain off must have taken just a little while, but the results look great.

John
    Appreciate it!

Definitely did take some time, but it wasn’t so bad broken up into sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Love it. I'll bet it weighs a ton.
    We brought it in without the drawers and top, it was heavy then, I didn’t want to attempt moving it otherwise. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    What a great idea. Sure fits into the home better than those traditional kennel boxes. Really nice job, looks fantastic.
    Thank you! This is the piece I sold my wife on me building to buy the domino, so it has more than just curb appeal. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Awesome job. I would love to make one but to make it big enough for our 70 lb dog it would be too big. But his current kennel sure is fuggly. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! Ive seen other designs out there, especially on Pinterest that would be large enough to fit a big dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dorsch View Post
    That turned out very well!

I wasn’t sure about the finish before I saw the pictures—now I may copy that finish in the future.

Zach
    Thanks!

It is a bit tedious, but definitely worth the effort.

I like your ambition. You definitely jumped right into the deep end. Well, done.

That's one high-class kennel! I had to show my wife the finish, for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I like your ambition. You definitely jumped right into the deep end. Well, done.
    Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    That's one high-class kennel! I had to show my wife the finish, for future reference.
    Thanks!