Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keyless Car Theft Problem

I've not seen a fob with rechargeable, yet. They are typically CR2032 or similar button cells, which are inexpensive...especially when you buy a card of them from Amazon or one of the discount box stores.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

According to this website, some Minis, BMWs and Range Rovers have rechargeable batteries. https://www.autokeypro.ca/bmwmini-co...y-fob-service/ There are also rechargeable batteries for fob on Ebay and Amazon.

(I'm touching a bunch of topics here, so no quotes.)
    On my 2016 Honda, the fob is the transmitter, running constantly at a very low power, just good enough to cover 3-4 feet. It shifts to a higher power when you press a button, letting it work at the 30-40 feet typical of old-style remote fobs. In full-time "pocket" mode, a battery lasts about 18-24 months, but I've heard of people with the same car needing a new battery every year if they use it like a remote instead of leaving it in pocket or purse. You don't need to push a button for the trunk either, as there's a button under the lip with the same 3-4 foot range.
    If the battery goes dead, there's an actual key that's part of the fob to unlock the driver's door, and you then start by holding the fob right below the start button. The distance involved points to some kind of RFID reader inside the dash.

And I'm a bit surprised no one has pointed out the single best feature: you simply can not lock the "keys" inside the car.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 04-01-2019 at 7:13 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.