Thread: WEN Air Filtration

WEN Air Filtration

I'm curious if anyone has bought this particular Air Filtration system. I have a very small shop that holds my lathe. It is around 120 sq. ft. The price is certainly right. I spend maybe an hour a day in my shop, so it would get pretty light use.

Wen Air Filtration

I went with the grizzly which I hear is similar and even uses the same filters. I like it but i can never remember to turn it on. I think i take it apart and wire it to be an always on so that it comes on with the lights. I already have it behind the switch.

I think the units are all the same for this, just different paint schemes. If you're looking to save even more money, find an HVAC guy and buy a blower off him for like $20, then build a box around it with filters.

I bought the higher air flow Wen 3415T about three months ago and have been very pleased with it. For that size of shop, I think it will work well for you.

Wes, I have that unit and it works well in my 440 sq ft garage space. It’s quiet, remote works well and it was cheap. I ordered extra filters to have handy too.

I have the 3410. Seems to work well. I dont have an air quality meter so not sure how much but the filters get dirty so it's doing something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also 3410 user in a very tiny shop. The unit is quiet and it actually works well. I have measured the before and after PM2.5 and PM10 and I could see significant improvement. I would not consider my tests scientific as its hard to generate the same amount of dust in a consistent way, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I think the units are all the same for this, just different paint schemes. If you're looking to save even more money, find an HVAC guy and buy a blower off him for like $20, then build a box around it with filters.
    The Jet 1000 has three times the air flow as the WEN. However, I usually use the Jet only on the lowest speed. As to the quality of the filter elements themselves, comparatively among the two brands, I don't know. At the price, it might not be a bad idea to buy several of the WEN units, and set them up for circular air flow around the shop.

Good idea if you have space. In my shop I have a mini split and dehumidifier running full time and I do feel they help to circulate dust for the WEN unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    The Jet 1000 has three times the air flow as the WEN. However, I usually use the Jet only on the lowest speed. As to the quality of the filter elements themselves, comparatively among the two brands, I don't know. At the price, it might not be a bad idea to buy several of the WEN units, and set them up for circular air flow around the shop.

I also have a small shop and have been thinking about one of these filters, but haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. Several years ago, Fine Woodworking reported on a test of these types of systems. The test results seemed to me to be a pretty strong endorsement for these units. A Jet unit was their top pick. The WEN wasn't a part of the test:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnp.../011213054.pdf

An alternative that I've been thinking about is a HEPA system from Honeywell. They have several models that range from a little more expensive than the WEN to about double the price - but they filter particles down to 0.3 microns:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/honeywel...urifier?NCNI-5

Do any of you use something like this?

My shop is about 1200 square feet. I have 4 of the Wen units. Two are over the wide belt sander and the other two are at the opposite end of the shop. They're inexpensive and work fine. I use them mostly either whenever I'm doing extensive sanding, or spray finishing.

I have the 3410 in my 12x18 shop and it works very well. You can see it above the table saw.

20190328_185449.jpg