Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which power tools would you only buy new?

The only tools I don’t want to buy used are layout tools and li-ion batteries...unless they are obviously and verifiably like-new.

Buying a used CNC, widebelt, or edgebander would make me think twice. That’s mostly because I don’t have an intimate level of understanding of those machines, and I know enough to know things can go horribly wrong with all the above. I personally know two guys that got burned badly on a used edgebander.

Other than that, I’d buy everything used! I’ve purchased a used 6, 8, 12, and 20 jointer. Several used table saws ranging from a delta contractor model to a few unisaws and now on to a powermatic 72. Used felder saw/shaper too. Used cyclone dust collector. Used drill press. Used bandsaw. Frankly, I’m hard pressed to name ANYTHING that I purchased new. 90% of my Festool gear was purchased used. The only new tools I’ve purchased are a 20” powermatic planer with a Byrd head, comatic dc40 feeder, and a Festool ct26.

Used stuff is a real pain to procure. Have to move it yourself. It often requires a lot of patience and effort to find the stuff you want. There’s obviously risk that you get burned on deals. This is like anything else in that your risk is mitigated through thoughtful due diligence and knowledge. I tend to only buy when the majority of my potential downsides are covered.

3. I don't have any hard and fast rules on this but...
    1. Be careful about any types of tools that can become obsolete, wear out, or suffer from age. That might include tools that have batteries that become obsolete, pads that wear out, and so on.
    2. Be careful about pricing on used tools. They are often not priced cheap enough to make them a good enough deal when you take everything into account. Be sure to consider repairs that will be needed either now or sooner than with a new machine. Also consider the lack of factory support and warranty. Don't ignore the joy of using a brand new machine.
    3. Consider whether the seller will stand behind the condition of the item if it should be faulty.

Personally I buy mostly new stationary power tools and power hand held tools. There are some exceptions, but I need to get a very good savings to be tempted with used. I see folks selling used power tools for 80-90% of the new price and I just don't get it. The few used machines I have bought I have been very happy with but I paid what I thought was a very good price for a good machine. When the price of used was anywhere near a new one, I spring for new.

Hand tools are another matter. Some of my hand tools are older than I am, including most of my favorite ones, so obviously I didn't buy them all new.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 03-29-2019 at 7:36 AM.

The only tools I've bought used are my DW 735 planer and my Oneida Mini Gorilla dust collector. Both were very lightly used.

I looked for used when buying my bandsaw, drill press, jointer, and table saw but couldn't find anything. The used market in my area sucks.

When I got my jointer I looked for probably 6 months or so hoping to find a used DJ-20 or comparable Grizzly model. I finally pulled the trigger on a brand new Steelex and one week later a used DJ-20 came up on Craigslist. Ha.

The only power tools I only buy new are handheld ones. Most just aren't that expensive except the green ones so it's not worth the effort to even look for a good used one. Quality stationary tools, on the other hand, cost a lot more but typically last for several generations of hobby users, so I look for a good used machine first. That has worked well for me, but if you aren't motivated to at least clean, lube, and adjust a machine to make it run like new, then it's a route that will lead to certain disappointment.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    ... Quality stationary tools, on the other hand, cost a lot more but typically last for several generations of hobby users, so I look for a good used machine first. That has worked well for me, but if you aren't motivated to at least clean, lube, and adjust a machine to make it run like new, then it's a route that will lead to certain disappointment.

John
    FWIW, my experience with new stationary tools is they still need the same loving cleaning (cosmoline et. al.) and careful adjustment, so the setup process is similar whether new or slightly used. Abused and rusty is a different story.
    Mark McFarlane

All my stationary wood working tools are bought used. Rockwell 9" tablesaw in like new condition,rockwell 14" bandsaw,de;ta 4" jointer.

I bought a reconditioned Makita 1013 compound miter saw from CPO outlets. Reconditioned tools are a good deal when you get them on sale at certain times of the year. And function like new .

Blog Entries
    There are very few tools that I would NOT buy used. I look for used before I buy new. It's kind of like buying cars (Which I have NEVER bought new either)- as soon as you drive it off the lot, it depreciates. I only wish I had the access you guys have to used tools. It's rare here to find a good used table saw, jointer, or planer here. I would be careful with jointers and planers because they are precision tools, and I've seen a few pretty poorly cared for ones, but a good inspection will highlight any issues. I guess a shop vac I would be reluctant to buy used, because they are just abused daily as the nature of their job- they suck up all the stuff we are trying to keep out of our other tools!!! (poor little guys- taking one for the team every day) You can usually get a good idea by talking to the person what kind of use the tool has had, and a lot of times I see really good stationary tools go for cheap by someone who bought it new and found they just didn't use it as much as they thought they would.

I normally wouldn't buy concrete tools used, but I got a great price on an SDS+ drill, and that thing has been a beast- never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gutnick View Post
    Just wondering if there are any power tools (large or small) that the members would only buy new and not used?
    For example, I see a lot of people are buying used table saws, so that seems safe. How about planers, random orbital sanders, shop vacs, etc?
    Any good or bad experiences when buying used?
    Thanks in advance!
    I only like to buy new power tools now, because I appreciate having a warranty. It seems that with many people, if they have a tool and they abuse it, and sense that it's just about to go poof, the first thing they do is sell it before that happens, and then disappear. This is particularly true with tools that show up in Goodwill, etc., if they can't even sell it, or have a guilty conscience. Bang ding ow. With a used tool, you don't know where it's been.

It's different with hand tools, of course, because you have eyes.

In general, I buy more expensive tools used and less expensive tools new. Or: tools that I plan to buy and take time considering are generally purchased used, while tools that are more impulsive buys are purchased new. This largely breaks down as used stationary tools (vintage Unisaw, Powermatic bandsaw and jointer, JessEm router table, Dewalt 735 planer, Grizzley power feeder) versus new handheld and hand tools. There are exceptions: I bought a new Powermatic dust collector and a used Domino XL, and at least half of my planes were used. If and when my 25-year-old Delta drill press gives up the ghost, I will replace it with a Nova Voyager, which I will probably only be able to find new.

For those who may not know, if you have an account with craigslist you can save searches and get email notifications when new items come up. That's really the only way to catch hot selling items like Festool.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I have a thing for old stuff so almost nothing is off limits. Estate sales, yard sales, CL, etc. has been great. One man's trash... At same time, you get what you pay for. I'm about to pick up a "free" Delta/Rockwell 12-14" cabinet saw. I'll be into that thing probably about $1,000 by the time I get it sorted and cleaned up. Not sure how "used" things are when you start sending parts out for powder coat and motors out to be re-wound. My current TS, jointer and planer are all used. Same with dovetail jig, Kreg jig, biscuit jointer, two bandsaws, drill press, scroll saw, etc. You can't beat old iron.

Lots of old precision measuring tools are great too. If you can find an estate sale for a tool & die maker or machinist you can get really good stuff cheap. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to pay MORE than what the family/kids wanted for things. You can get brands like Browne & Sharp, Starrett, Miller's Falls, etc. for pennies. Also stuff like sets of taps & dies, hand tools, etc. for pennies when it would cost hundreds or thousands to buy new.

I would never buy a battery or a battery tool used. As mentioned, I wouldn't buy a toothbrush used either. Also respirators, boots/shoes, gloves, welding helmets. When I was starting out I had good luck with (small) gmaw welders from CL. I got a free Lincoln (tombstone) arc welder that was heavily used but it worked... Often you can find a homeowner who thought they might like welding or bought a machine for one job, etc. I'd never guy a bigger welder used. Those are usually ridden hard and put up wet, and the newer ones are a lot easier to operate (and better features).

Nail guns: I got my finish guns used. They were in really great shape. And now they collect dust because I bought new battery guns. Palm nailer was used. Unless it is specifically as a parts/spare gun, I'd never buy a roofing or framing gun used. Ever.

Drywall, tile and masonry knives/trowels: I have styles/brands I like so if I find something lightly used for stupid cheap sometimes I'll pick them up. A lot of that stuff gets better once they are broken in a bit.

I would consider used for most stationary tools, but it's gotta be a pretty good deal and in like-new condition or it's not worth it for me, and so far, I have never found that deal for a tool I wanted. Most of the time from what I have seen, the good condition tools are selling for 80-90 percent of new or worse (like the craigslist ad for $2500 used JET bandsaw, plus 2 spare blades on craigslist for a saw that is $1800 new). To save a few hundred $, not have the machine freight shipped and delivered to my home (even if it is only curb-side), and not have a warranty just isn't worth it.

I get the bad ads, like the 2500 saw - when someone passes and a next-of-kin doesn't have a clue (could work in your favor also).

There is not a single hand tool, powered or not that I would buy used. In most cases, guys try to sell their Festool tools or Lie Nielsen tools for within a $100 of what they cost new?
    As far as stationary, I try to buy the “best”. There are many machines that are 50+ years old that are simply better than anything new. I have both new Euro machines and “old iron”.

My entire shop is vintage iron. I have some new hand tools.....Lie Nielsen planes, Mike Wenzloff and Bad Axe saws, and planes I've made myself.

All machines are vintage USA made, and the newest was made in 1985, and the oldest 1905. They are all in perfect working order. I've restored them myself. I couldn't afford to buy the equivalent of my machines, all new from Northfield (the only company left), and still be able to make money as a business, being a 1 man shop for 30 years (now retired.) I had one Euro machine, a Martin T17, but I passed that along to a friend who is more appreciative of Martin machines than I, and is still working.
    Jeff

All my power tools were purchased new

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gutnick View Post
    Just wondering if there are any power tools (large or small) that the members would only buy new and not used?
    For example, I see a lot of people are buying used table saws, so that seems safe. How about planers, random orbital sanders, shop vacs, etc?
    Any good or bad experiences when buying used?
    Thanks in advance!
    There is no culture to sell small hand tools after use them in my country. When they appear to sell you can be sure at 99% that either they were robbed or they are in a trash state.

For industrial quality stationary tools there are a significant market but most of them available thru resellers, so they are not so cheap although usually they are refurbished and sold with some warranty. I would not have problems to purchase one of them if I found what I am looking for at a fair price... I never found!

Bottom line: all my power tools were purchased new.