Thread: New to Dust Collection

New to Dust Collection

Looking to buy my first DC. I have been looking at the Bill Pentz website. I will only need to connect to one device at a time. Thinking about getting the Grizzly 2HP Canister DC (G0548ZP) . I already have a “Dust Right Dust Separator” (think Dust Deputy). Should I hock it up with the Grizzly ? I will run one 6” header from the Grizzly and branch off with 4” down runs to devices. One think I’m a little concerned with is the 83-85 dB rating. It will be in the next room from the devices but my wall only goes up to the floor joists (basement shop). Any recommendations? Woodworking is a hobby not a business for me. First post but have been watching for quite awhile.

I like the Grizzly G0548ZP, I was going to get that one if I hadn't bought their cyclone.

I personally would run 6" as far as I could, including going down, and perhaps increasing the size of the ports on the tools to 6" if possible, it really does make a difference.

As for the noise, I think it depends a bit on your other tools, but generally I'd expect the tools to be much louder than the dust collector, particularly when in use (like a saw blade going through wood, rather that just running).

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip43.html

I have the Grizzly G0548Z (original green and not the polar white) and am more than pleased with it's performance.

In regard to the Dust Right Dust Separator, I believe the inlet / outlet will be too small and the overall size of the unit would not be a good match with the Grizzly. I have a Dust Deputy (2" inlet / outlet) which works great in conjunction with my shop vac, but similarly sized units are not meant for use with a larger size DC. A Super Dust Deputy Cyclone (5" inlet / 6" outlet) is rated for a 1hp - 3hp DC and would be a much more efficient match. I have a SDD (picked it up for $25 at Woodcraft's scratch & dent sale) but haven't yet installed it into my system, though hope to some time in the near future. The Grizzly works okay without cyclone, but the filter can gather a fair portion of dust (evident with a simple turn of the filter cleaning handle) and a cyclone would likely limit much of the dust making it that far.

I had some 4" PVC pipe left over from a previous project and to get my system up and running with limited expense used what was on hand, with the intention of installing a 6" pipe at some point in the future. My present set-up has been performing so well though that I don't have any real plan to replace it, particularly with the price of 6" pipe and fittings - though in your use, 6" could be a viable option. Essentially I have two 4" pipes connected to the DC that run alongside each other on the floor behind my machines. One pipe has a blast gate connected to flexible hose and a wye to the two ports on my band saw, and another blast gate at a wye midway on the pipe with a flexible hose that is connected to the jointer. The second pipe has a blast gate that is connected via flexible hose to a dust shroud I built for my radial arm saw, and another blast gate is connected to a wye on the pipe with a length of 4" dust collection hose that I run to my table saw, planer or whatever use it may be needed for. I typically only run one machine at a time but during some processes in which I am frequently going back and forth between two machines will leave two blast gates open (generally one on each PVC pipe) and the collection has been great in each use. I presently use the shop vac / Dust Deputy combo at the drop-down area of my workbench / assembly table for the oscillating spindle/belt sander, portable router table, scroll saw and other portable tools, but at some point may run a line to this spot into the main DC system.

I don't consider the noise from the Grizzly to be much of a problem, especially when compared to other woodworking activities, and often wear hearing protection while any of the machines are running.

For convenience, I removed the switch from the Grizzly and direct-wired the machine to the plug. I then mounted the switch to the wall in an easy-to-access spot next to my equipment and wired it to the receptacle at the DC.

DC.jpg

- Workshop b.jpg

Blog Entries
    I started with a Penn State double bagger and it served me well for several years, dragging that hose around. The Grizzly with the filter would be a much better choice. However I suggest you reassess your priorities. Many would agree that your choice of a dust collection system may be the most important equipment choice you will ever make. Your whole shop, existing and future, will (should?) revolve around how you manage wood chips, saw dust and fine airborne particles, both for shop efficiency and your health. The holy grail is a cyclone which separates the big stuff before it ever reaches the fan. Yes you can achieve the same concept with a pre-fan separator. But in the long run you might end up doing this twice as you get into it.
    NOW you tell me...

Don't know how serious you are about woodworking, but I bought a new 2hp cyclone about 15 years ago, and thought it would be good enough, but found I needed more suction, and went to a 3hp cyclone a couple years ago. Also started venting outside when we have reasonable weather, filter kills my suction but during cold weather furnace can't keep up.

Thanks guys! I am leaning towards the Grizzly 2HP Canister DC (G0548ZP) with the 1-3 HP Dust Deputy cyclone. I mistakenly ordered the XL model of the Dust Deputy and it is huge (sized for 3-5 HP) so it will be going back. The smaller version has a 5" inlet and a 6" outlet. The Grizzly is rated at 1700 cfm suction. I will probably run a 10' header (5" dia.) Any concerns?

I might not be too quick to send the larger DD back. Is there any intel on how it will work with your 2hp system? The larger in/out is certainly desirable...

I have a 2hp motor Oneida cyclone and the cyclone funnel and in/outs are bigger than any of the SDDs... works great...

I realize maybe due partly a more efficient impeller and dedicated design... but would it be that big a difference that the larger cyclone wouldn't work well still for your 2hp?

My old 2hp cyclone had an 18" diameter cyclone with 6" inlet and 8" outlet. Think I would use the XL.

I found a DC cabinet design from ShopNotes which has a cyclone in the top half of the cabinet, a plywood pullout gate that separates the bottom half of the cabinet and in the bottom half you can place a regular paper leaf bag. When you pull out the gate the sawdust falls into the bag for easy maintenance. The XL cyclone is 39" tall so it doesn't leave much room to get everything in even if I have the cyclone sticking out the top of the enclosure. I just thought the smaller one would fit this design better and still give me a 5" header. Large cyclone is 39" tall. Of course the Grizzly would replace the shop vac in this pic. Using a paper leaf bag sounds good to me for recycling purposes. Do most of you get rid of your sawdust in plastic bags thrown in the trash? No criticism here just wondering.
    Dust Collector Cabinet 1.jpg

Exactly.

Mine is 21" diameter, 45" height, 7" inlet.

SDD XL 19" diameter, 36" height, 6" inlet.

Oneida lists 850 CFM required on the XL. Grizzly list 1700 CFM for that collector... what's rule of thumb for manufacturer numbers once you get it in your shop? Cut them in half seems reasonable... there's your 850 CFM.

Compare the standard SDD spec... 350 CFM required... I think you'll crush that with a 2hp.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm not an engineer. Hopefully someone with experience with the XL will weigh in on their experience.

5 is better than 4 but I would go with 6" ducts. You can get a 6 to 5 reducer to adapt into cyclone.

I don't like bags for collecting.

I use a Rubbermaid Brute heavy duty trash can for a collector. I used a road bike inner tube as a gasket. The lid is connected to the cyclone with a section of 6" flex duct.

I wouldn't bother with the Shop Notes contraption. The blower is what makes the noise so you can simply build a box lined with styrofoam insulation around it.

If possible, you can also mount the blower outside the building.

I wouldn't build that contraption either...

Aside from the trouble/bulk of building it, you will have to ensure an air tight seal between the cyclone/hopper/bag collection areas or you're going to get poor separation and dust will quickly get to your filter.

I use a 35gallon fibre drum with my cyclone. No bag. I put my mask on, empty the bin outside into a leaf bag and put it on the curb, or sometimes if I'm lazy I just dump it in the alley behind my house and let the elements magically disappear it...

Before the cyclone I had a trash can seperator on a brute garbage can with weather stripping as a gasket... that worked okay too.

There are lots of videos online of people's dust deputy builds... lots of threads on the various sites too... I'd start with ideas from there.

I wouldn't reduce your run at the cyclone either. Your ducting can somewhat reduce in diameter as it moves away from the DC/cyclone, but it should never increase in diameter.

If you get a 5" inlet SDD, use 5" for your run, don't reduce 6" into the cyclone inlet.

If you want a 6" run, I'd consider researching keeping the XL.

I notice on Oneida's SDD XL webpage they have 2 user install videos. Both are using 2hp systems from what I can tell. 1 with a Grizzly, 1 with a Harbour Freight with an upgraded impeller. FWIW they seem to be happy with their installs...
    Last edited by Josh Kocher; 04-09-2019 at 2:27 PM.

Thanks guys, good comments. I think I will stay with the XL and scrap the cabinet. The XL has a 6" inlet so I'll use a 6" header and come off of it with 5" and 4" as needed.
    Here is a pic of the Grizzly 2HP. It's ok to enclose it with a Styrofoam lined box to cut the noise down? I think it must need a vent in the box. Thanks again.
    Grizzly GO548ZP.jpg

Blog Entries
    I think you are on the right track. The fundamental thing hobbyists can boo-boo on is going lightweight on dust collection. I believe I am not the only person here who is now on medication because I tried to use a shop-vac as my dust collector for too long. Before anyone has a cow over that statement, shop vacs are a lot better now than they were then. The basic rule is to get the best DC you possibly can. Until you move into systems that you can't even power from your house panel, it is hard to have too much DC ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler