Thread: Just built a custom stand for my 125 Gallon Fish Tank - What do you guys think?

Just built a custom stand for my 125 Gallon Fish Tank - What do you guys think?

Hey guys, I am new here and new to woodworking. I have pretty much become addicted to this hobby over the last few weeks. I have spent tons of money on tools for this build but I also made sure to get tools that we could use on our house we plan to buy in 12 months. We are going to be buying a fixer-upper..

It is 2 x 4 construction wrapped with 3/4" Pine Plywood and 3/4" Pine Finishes. I think it came out good for my first piece of furniture.

Complete before Doors Hung

Complete w/ Doors Hung & Fixtures added.

Minwax True Black Stain Added

Wood Grain (Looks awesome!)

I will be adding a canopy over the next few days. It will look something like this but the design will match the stand so it will all flow together.

Two questions I have:

do I need to Poly this and if I do, I do not want it to be shiny. So would that mean I want Clear Poly with a Satin Finish?

And for the Canopy, I need to Paint the inside of the canopy white and I need it to be a waterproof paint that will seal the wood as mold will form if not done properly. Any advice on the best way to do this? I have large fish that tend to splash and I want to make sure that the wood is protected.. This is all new to me so any help you can give is very much appreciated.

thank you in advance & thanks for looking!
    Joshua

Nice construction, Joshua. Finish turned out well. I’m no expert at aquarium construction, but I’m a little concerned with the design. 125 gallons is a lot of weight. Most aquariums are supported around the bottom perimeter plastic trim (the glass bottom doesn’t actually touch the wood supports. So it is going to be sitting on the outside “aprons”, from what I can tell from your pictures. I would have likely put those on top of the 2x4 legs, rather than attach them to the side of the leg. That’s the way my 55 gal stand is constructed. This way the weight is supported byl egs, rather than the glue/screws or whatever you used to attach the aprons.

Edit: now that I look at your pictures again, is there a second 2x4 that the apron sits on? If so, nevermind.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 03-28-2019 at 8:40 AM.

There is a total of (14) 2 x4 Uprights that support well over the required weight. I just don't think you can see them all. The outside apron sits on 10 individual 2x4s.

2 in each corner

Here is someone else's stand for reference. I didn't take any pictures before I wrapped it. Mine is very similar to this one except I added more support by adding middle supports. The stand is extremely strong and is capable of supporting 4,000lbs while only needing about 1,400 at the most.
    stand_example.JPG

The tank will be sitting on the red line. There is a 2"trim which will hide the plastic frame of the tank. The tank will not sitting on that. I am not sure if that is what you thought..
    standlayout.JPG

Thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Nice construction, Joshua. Finish turned out well. I’m no expert at aquarium construction, but I’m a little concerned with the design. 125 gallons is a lot of weight. Most aquariums are supported around the bottom perimeter plastic trim (the glass bottom doesn’t actually touch the wood supports. So it is going to be sitting on the outside “aprons”, from what I can tell from your pictures. I would have likely put those on top of the 2x4 legs, rather than attach them to the side of the leg. That’s the way my 55 gal stand is constructed. This way the weight is supported byl egs, rather than the glue/screws or whatever you used to attach the aprons.

Edit: now that I look at your pictures again, is there a second 2x4 that the apron sits on? If so, nevermind.

I used to build Stands and canopies for a friends reef tank business. I remember tanks owners always wanted big door openings for working on the equipment. I was very careful to build the stands flat usually on a assembly table if they were not too big. We also had a solid platform on top and thin layer of foam would lay under the stand.
    I also wound level and shim the stand on install day.
    The canopies and stands were left unfinished inside. We found no difference
    Yours looks well built it should hold up very well.
    Nice work on your first stand
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I used to build Stands and canopies for a friends reef tank business. I remember tanks owners always wanted big door openings for working on the equipment. I was very careful to build the stands flat usually on a assembly table if they were not too big. We also had a solid platform on top and thin layer of foam would lay under the stand.
    I also wound level and shim the stand on install day.
    The canopies and stands were left unfinished inside. We found no difference
    Yours looks well built it should hold up very well.
    Nice work on your first stand
    Definitely, I made the door openings 20” wide and 24” tall. Much bigger than anything I would ever need to put in there. As for the canopy I am trying to figure out the best way to have it open so that I can feed the fish easily. Any ideas?

The canopies I made were very lite weight in construction. So they could be lifted easily.They had big doors with Euro hinges that swing out of the way.
    The last detail was some 1x2 battens that adjusted easily for the lights to hang on. My friend would put a white plastic grid on top I think he bought it in sheets. I thinks it’s half in thick with half inch squares openings. To keep jumping fish in.
    He also hung his lites with wires.
    Aj

I am definitely building the canopy out of lightweight material. I am using quarter inch pine plywood instead of the three-quarter inch plywood I used on the base. When I get home from work I will post some pictures of where I am currently at with the canopy. The frame is lightweight. I want it to look really good as my wife is testing my skills lol.

I really want to make something that smoothly opens in the front so that we can feed the fish on a daily basis.

Cool, are you going fresh water or salt?
    Aj

I think the canopy in the photo is visually top heavy. reducing height will make it more crown like. My $.02

Sounds like you have the support well handled. You’re obviously thinking through the canopy well. Mine has no doors for daily feeding, and although it is low enough to kind of reach over, it’s not very convenient. Sits off to the side most of the time. May have to steal your design when you figure it all out!

The one in the photo is just so you all would know what a canopy is. My canopy will be extremely lightweight.

I am going freshwater. It is tank #5 in our house. I am moving an Arowana, 2 Oscars and an Albino Pacu Piranha into it in a few weeks.

Blog Entries
    Your stand looks very sturdy.

I made wood tops for aquariums many years ago and no matter how many coats of varnish were applied to the surfaces facing the water they always failed. I would line the hood with acrylic and caulk the seams with silicone. Any small void in the paint will allow moisture to get into the wood and that will start the failure. Also make the plastic form a drip edge so that condensation will not run down the sides into the joint where the hood meets the top of the tank. You may need more vents in the hood to let heat from the lights and moisture out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Lee, do you have any examples or photos you could share of what you are referring to?

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this for the front of the canopy But when it comes to protecting the wood and avoiding mold I am kind of clueless so any help you can give is very much appreciated

https://youtu.be/8BmZYNHx7po

That would be helpful.

Also I just wanted to mention that my LED light is 6 feet long so I can’t put any front supports in or else the light will be permanent and I’ll never be able to move it or replace it if needed. I appreciate all of the insight from you guys.