Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, FTC.

Blog Entries

Thank you, FTC.

My tinnitus is much better today....far less ringing in my ears!

? Federal trade commision?

Fast tool change?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries

Great news for us as the Federal Trade Commission shut down four companies making billions of robocalls. At least for now....

Blog Entries
    Whoohoo way to go FTC. Keep up the good work. I wondered why we received no robo calls yesterday. The little guys get a break.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I did only get 2 "Google" calls yesterday. Here's hoping the trend continues.

Carriers have been told that they need to deal with the spoofing problem "real soon now" or there will be regulation put in place according to an article on CNN.com I read today. On major carrier is about to test that. There are things to work out to avoid issues with "legal spoofing", such as is used to mask individual DID numbers on outgoing calls from legitimate business and government agencies, but we can hope that this gets dealt with in some reasonable way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have to wonder how many Robocalls originate offshore, where the FTC has no authority. Then, as Jim mentioned, it falls to the carriers to implement (and perhaps develop?) software/technology to sort out those originations. I’m glad the FTC took the steps that they did, but I expect this will take a while before it’s thoroughly settled.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    I have to wonder how many Robocalls originate offshore, where the FTC has no authority. Then, as Jim mentioned, it falls to the carriers to implement (and perhaps develop?) software/technology to sort out those originations. I’m glad the FTC took the steps that they did, but I expect this will take a while before it’s thoroughly settled.
    A substantial percentage of them are off-shore and generated by IP Dialer Systems, take "interesting" paths between "there" and "here" and then end up traversing the various carrier networks to the number they are dialing. That number is also generally random but increasingly closely matched to the spoofed CID. And yes, FTC has no authority over the origination. That's why they are finally starting to push harder on the carrier to develop better methods of detecting and quashing the spoofed calls...which are calls that applications like NoMoRobo cannot intercept.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    So that is why my phone has been pretty much quiet for the last few days.

Great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My cell phone is turned offf until I need it.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I bet the companies have always had the ability to track the unspoofed numbers. They just allowed them to hide the numbers but now the FTC is making them reveal the true numbers so they can be blocked.
    Did you really think the phone companies couldn't charge the spanners for the cost of the calls?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    I think the problem is bigger than all of us and (sadly) won't end until they chip every human being on the planet.

I suppose schools should be exempted but Bill Gate's spam answer would work for robocalls as well. First 1,000 a month are free then cost is 1/1000 of a penny per call.
    Bill