Thread: Help with Rust hunt results needed

Help with Rust hunt results needed

My latest rust search netted a badly rusted Stanley plane I cannot clearly identify...There is no number indicated on the plane body..The pics will tell some of the story...First 2 pics will be it next to a conventional Stanley #3.. .The last pic will be next to a Stanley Jack#5.
    My first thought was it is a "long"(11 1/4") #3. Never saw that before. Then the length led me to a junior Jack #5 possibility..
    What are your thoughts? Trying to solve the mystery of this unbranded rusty plane....Thanks
    2019-03-26 19.21.56.jpg2019-03-26 19.22.36.jpg2019-03-27 11.35.33.jpg

PS cannot convert to vertical..Sorry
    Jerry

Are you sure it's a Stanley? Just because the iron says Stanley on it doesn't make it a Stanley. Give us a picture of the lateral adjusting lever, and maybe we can speculate better on what it might be.

Stanley Four-Square household jack plane.

I agree with Greg. It's a Stanley Four Square jack plane. It's the same size as the Stanley 5-1/4 Junior Jack plane.
    I have a Stanley 5-1/4 plane that I use a lot. It's a handy size.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    One more vote for the Four Square plane. It may have a different lateral lever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Are you sure it's a Stanley? Just because the iron says Stanley on it doesn't make it a Stanley. Give us a picture of the lateral adjusting lever, and maybe we can speculate better on what it might be.
    Bill, no imprint on lat adj lever....Thinking now its the four square which has no mark on the body as to size..
    it'll be a BEAR to clean up and does have a sizable chip on the one side of body..
    Maybe a candidate for parts for #3s...Still learning on this one...Thanks, guys.
    Jerry