Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creative Ways to Cheat the Consumer

Creative Ways to Cheat the Consumer

There must be people who lie awake at night figuring how to cheat the consumer. Here are a few of my favorites (yeah,right!) First, toilet paper and paper towels. When they emboss the tissue, it means the thickness is greater, and less sheets per roll. Have you noticed how easily TP now fits into the holder, as the rolls are much narrower? The absolute worst is at the Georgia rest stop on I-85 south, near the SC line. If it was any narrower, it would be "fanny floss." Next on my list is peanut butter. Next time you are in grocery store, see how many different brands are the same height, but different weights. Turn them over and look at the indentation in the bottom of the jar. Next is Dial soap. The bar is shaped like a saddle, length wise on one side, and cross wise on the other. When you pick up package, it feels full size when in fact it's about 2/3's the weight of old bars due to scalloping. Just a few of the ways I have found for companies to cheat the consumer, add you least favorites.

Blog Entries
    Down sizing product content while subtly changing packaging has been going on for over 20 years. Ice cream used to be sold in half gallon containers. The shapes of containers were altered to look the same while being slightly smaller in volume. What you have noted is nothing new and will likely continue.

I notice those things as well Bruce. I tell my wife and friends and they think I'm odd and cheap. I prefer to think of myself as an informed consumer.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Yep, take Folgers coffee as an example. Use to be 35.4 oz than became 32.2 oz than 29.? now 25.4 oz. Container looks the same, red plastic with black top, just a bit shorter each time, never enough to notice unless you compare the 35.4 to the 25.4. I only notice because I use the containers for my dirty and clean brass in multiple calibers. The price never changed, in reality it has gone up a bit.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

when I was a youngin, Campbells condensed soup came in 15 oz cans. Tuna came in 8 oz cans. Everything shrunk. There has always been a big indent in the bottom of some bottles, like wine. Candy Bars shrank, Sodas got larger though. Went from quarts to liters.

I was bowling league a couple of weeks ago and one of my teammates ordered a pint of some IPA. He drank it, but when he went to order another one they had no more on tap. They did have cans of the same stuff, though, so he ordered one of those. His 12 ounce can came and he poured it into his pint glass. It filled the glass to within 1/8" of the rim. So a "pint" is really about 12.5 ounces there. That's one way to make a buck I guess, especially at $5 a pint.

The size of coffee containers has bounced around forever. Remember 3 lb. cans? The size has been trending downward for decades.

The one I that got me ticked off was Dannon reducing the size of a cup of yogurt from 8 oz. to 6 oz. due to "customer demand". I don't remember demanding that I get 25% less and paying maybe 10% less for 2 months.

I remember when Mrs. Butterworths pancake syrup was introduced it was advertised as having 2% butter in it. Years later it became 1%. Then it was 0.4%. After that it listed butter flavors or something on the bottle. But no actual butter.

Then they introduced the low calorie version, Mrs. Butterworth Lite. Then they called the not so low calorie version Original. That threw a flag for me- Original implies that they are selling is comparable to what they sold 50 years ago. Of course that is a bunch of hooey. Original in this case means 'whatever the heck it was we were selling last week'.

At the Large Store With The Smile Face I just saw bottles of 50% isopropyl alcohol. Isn't 70% the norm? I'm sure it'll be marketed as a premium product soon. With a price to match.

Pre-diluted antifreeze.

It's official. I'm an old grouch.

-Tom

Holes in Lifesavers..... Remember the promotion that they were later selling the holes?
    Ice Cream use to be sold in pint, quart and 1/2 gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    The absolute worst is at the Georgia rest stop on I-85 south, near the SC line. If it was any narrower, it would be "fanny floss."
    OK Bruce, you've peaked my interest. I live near Clemson so the next time I drive by the rest stop I'm going to have to stop and inspect the "fanny floss"!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    OK Bruce, you've peaked my interest. I live near Clemson so the next time I drive by the rest stop I'm going to have to stop and inspect the "fanny floss"!
    We usually stop for gas in SC before crossing into GA when going to IWF. Stop at GA welcome center and check to see if there is a better hotel deal available. Print out deal, and upon check in have them do the price match. Don't forget that pre filled propane tanks only have 15# of propane in them. That's why I make a couple trips per year to local dealer to have a bunch filled. It's like buying two and getting three free.

Consumers tend to notice price increases immediately while completely missing downsizing of packaging/quantity/weight, etc., which is effectively a price increase without changing the price shown. Almost no one reads labels nor do many tend to check the "price per unit" on the store shelves (required by law I believe) while making their selections. And like Lee said...it's nothing new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    There must be people who lie awake at night figuring how to cheat the consumer. Here are a few of my favorites (yeah,right!) First, toilet paper and paper towels. When they emboss the tissue, it means the thickness is greater, and less sheets per roll. Have you noticed how easily TP now fits into the holder, as the rolls are much narrower? The absolute worst is at the Georgia rest stop on I-85 south, near the SC line. If it was any narrower, it would be "fanny floss." Next on my list is peanut butter. Next time you are in grocery store, see how many different brands are the same height, but different weights. Turn them over and look at the indentation in the bottom of the jar. Next is Dial soap. The bar is shaped like a saddle, length wise on one side, and cross wise on the other. When you pick up package, it feels full size when in fact it's about 2/3's the weight of old bars due to scalloping. Just a few of the ways I have found for companies to cheat the consumer, add you least favorites.
    Too many MBAs getting paid to think up cost cutting ideas...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

K-Cup coffee....................$28 per pound!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Holes in Lifesavers..... Remember the promotion that they were later selling the holes?
    Ice Cream use to be sold in pint, quart and 1/2 gallon.
    Certain brands still sell full 16 fl. oz. pints and 32 fl. oz. quarts. My recollection is Ben & Jerry's still comes in pints. Not sure about Haagen Daz. The Kroger store brand at the local Fred Meyers is also a full pint.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    K-Cup coffee....................$28 per pound!
    True, but there is a level of convenience and reduction in waste that at least makes up for part of that cost. This is especially true for office and other similar accommodations, but even for some home users who just drink a cup or so or have family members who like different brews, it can be reasonably practical. I don't use that system...I grind my own for my daily lattés.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...