Thread: Auger Bits...

Auger Bits...

Just got a Stanley brace off of EBay, and can't seem to find a source for new bits other than TFWW at $35+ each... Is there any other source for less expensive bits other than to get a set off of EBay...? Would rather get them as I need them for now...

JH

Blog Entries
    Howdy Jeffrey, Welcome to the Creek.

There are some who do sell individual bits on ebay. Even some that are New Old Stock (NOS).

You might want to read an old post on auger bits:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238

Many times in my travels there are auger bits in many of the junk and antique shops. You just need to know what is a good bit and what isn't.

My suggestion is to purchase a set. In the long run, it will cost less.

You do not indicate a location. If you are in the Portland, OR area there are a few places that may have individual bits at times. Likely most areas have such shops to search.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My usual suspects for new tools are Lee Valley, TFWW, The Best Things, Highland Woodworking.

Depending on what kind of brace you have, you may be able to use the new style (smooth shaft) bits. Many older braces really need the older style to hold the bit firmly, but some of the better braces will hold anything you can fit in the jaws.

If you don't care about the container (e.g. original box) a good user set can be had for $35 without much effort, even in a tool-desert like Los Angeles.
    AKA - "The human termite"

FWIW, I just bought a 3/4" Wood Owl bit from Lee Valley, and after using it a bit I can't imagine there's any better option on the market. The bit was $18 or so, and will be worth it in the end. I would suggest not worrying about buying a complete set right from the start -- get the sizes you need as new projects come up. Same with chisels.

ICS Cutting Tools https://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_172.pdf lists new solid-center auger bits starting at $5.00.
    I haven't dealt with them, but they would be worth checking out.
    Rick

Thanks for all of the suggestions... might check out one of the ICS bits to see how they work and keep an eye out on EBay for a set without a box... was hoping to not have to care about the condition and sharpening a used set (unless I can get a really good deal... )

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    My usual suspects for new tools are Lee Valley, TFWW, The Best Things, Highland Woodworking.

Depending on what kind of brace you have, you may be able to use the new style (smooth shaft) bits. Many older braces really need the older style to hold the bit firmly, but some of the better braces will hold anything you can fit in the jaws.
    This.

You can use the auger bits intended for power drills that have only one or two rotations of the flute. They work but don't eject chips well from deep holes. And some of them only have one spur.

Any drill bit with a hex shank works reasonably well in nearly any of the steel brace chucks. But you need to put a little umph behind the bit if it doesn't have a lead-screw (snail).

The Wood Owl bits are nice and work just fine as new ones.

While you are out hunting up vintage bits, do yourself a favor and get at least one proper auger file. You can sometimes substitute other shapes and types of files but best if you can find something with the safe edges to help you recondition any vintage bits you happen upon.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

My go-to augers are the Wood Owls. Otherwise I have and use Jennings.

Driving the bits through hardwood, especially the wide bits, is made significantly easier by first drilling a pilot hole for the lead screw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Brace and bit acquisition can become habit forming!

Hi, my name is Andrew, and I used to have brace and bit problem. . . . .

I (still) have a few vintage sets picked up from various places including eBay; the most unexpected was a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Irwin actually still makes new bits, look for "Irwin Hand Brace Solid Center Auger Bit" Prices seem to vary pretty wildly from place to place, so shop around.

Another vote for Wood Owl bits. They are affordable and cut really cleanly. They come in a couple of configurations and number of flutes. I like the Ultra Smooth tri-cut bits. But the Nail-Chipper bits cut a bit faster at the price of a little rougher finish. Both are great bits and work equally well in braces and handheld power drills. Chris Schwarz did a couple of columns on them for Pop Woodworking...

not new but reconditioned bits https://grandpaslittlefarm.com/drillbits.shtml
    It has been on my list to pick up some auger bits

I second justin. Grandpas little farm has set me up with files and he stocks restored augers as well as a few other items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Whitehead View Post
    ICS Cutting Tools https://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_172.pdf lists new solid-center auger bits starting at $5.00.
    I haven't dealt with them, but they would be worth checking out.
    Rick
    Those are dirt cheap. Can they possibly be good? Hmmmm..... I have googled a bunch, but can't find much of user experience with that company, let alone their auger bits.