Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offering some shop experiences

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Also, am I alone in having a dream 'woodworkers-to-visit-roadtrip'? Or really to expand on that idea, a woodworking road trip to see and visit places related to woodworking. It's a long list for me!

I should also report that through SMC a have in fact met some great folks already, one who I correspond with on a regular basis and consider a really good pal now!
    There used to be several regional get togethers of woodworkers from SMC and another wood working forum. Someone provides the location and everyone that attends contributes something toward the food and beverages. I personally have attended these events in Pennsylvania, Texas, Indiana, Washington and Ontario. We used the forums to invite and coordinate the events. I still communicate with folks that I've met at these gatherings.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Its not an easy task to provide any kind of custom features that work efficiently and offer the flexibility everyone would like. Unfortunately we are already dealing with a conversion to a subscriber based system and have an upcoming software change as well.

If the funds ever become available to support the creation of a searchable database I would gladly support the project as best I can.

I have hosted a couple of gatherings in the past and I remember when they were frequent events here. I thought everyone had forgotten what a great time they had together attending group events and visiting each others shops.

I hosted several here in Tx and attended 4or5 in northwest Washington state (Sophie’s house). Always had a great time. I’ve tried a couple times in the last few years to have another but zero interest. Too bad
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I host 1 or 2 annual events every year in my shop, and have had a few crowds in excess of 100 people. I am always willing to open my shop to visitors who would like to experience and see a shop filled with vintage restored industrial machinery (wood and metal), as well as try out, and compare, new hand tools from the likes of Lie Nielsen, Bad Axe, Mike Wenzloff, etc... with vintage hand tools, as well as wooden hand planes I make here in my shop. A few folks from this forum have been to my shop before, but most are from the OWWM community. Do know that the newest machine in my shop, by several decades, is a 1985 Powermatic 66, and most are from the 30's, 40's, and 50's.
    Jeff

Steve, you were also very kind to allow me to visit your shop while I was in the area on business a number of years ago. I've always enjoyed visiting woodworking (and equestrian) friend while traveling and have even had some international visits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I always enjoyed your visits as I do all woodworkers who come by whether it’s for some help or just to visit. If I traveled more I’d be trying to visit other woodworkers. My door is always open.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution