Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frames for Canvas

I'm no expert, but all of the frames in our house look like unfinished white pine or poplar. If unfinished, I would be concerned about aromatic woods, like redwood and cedar, affecting the integrity of the paint, and possibly telegraphing through, even if in close but not direct contact. Shellac?

My dad was an artist and I helped him stretch canvas for his oil and acrylic paintings. The miters are slotted in a way so that wedges are tapped in after the canvas is attached. We used special canvas stretching pliers to draw the canvas as tight as possible and stapled or tacked it taut. Then the canvas was stretched again by the opposing wedges at the miters. There were two at each corner. On large paintings this is important so the painting stays flat. And as previously noted the faces of the stretchers were moulded to have the canvas contact the frame at the extreme edge. A display frame is added after the artwork is finished.
    Dad liked BIG paintings...
    Joe

My wife's brother is an artist. He makes his own frames. I just texted him to see what he uses, and what the nice frames are made with.

But my 2 cents. If you're milling down construction grade wood (my go to since it's cheap!) get a bunch of 2x10s and stack them with spacers and some weight in top in the garage or unused room in the house. They'll dry. And 2x4s warp too easily.

Spruce, pine, fir all have warp issue in canvas stretcher bars. I have made thousands, Currently use basswood, stays straight.

Hi, I also use poplar for the frames I make for my daughter.

I use bridle joints at the corners and half laps on the in-between stretchers for large frames......Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Spruce, pine, fir all have warp issue in canvas stretcher bars. I have made thousands, Currently use basswood, stays straight.
    I just found out basswood is used. Light weight and doesnt warp. Pine leeches sap and others leech tannins so dont use those. Also, keep in mind the size of canvas you are making. An 8"x8" frame no big deal. But a large frame needs stretchers, corner braces, etc. While it won't warp, it will bend under pressure without proper support.