Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade for Nova 1624

If you're not in a big rush to get the Nova 1624, Woodcraft offers it occasionally on sale at a good discount. I think it's offered now with a free chuck from Woodcraft ? You might check with them. It's a good rugged lathe that you will enjoy. Good luck.

I bought my 1624 several years ago, and didn't have much a problem with the stepped pulleys. However, once I got the DVR upgrade a year or two later I seriously wondered why I had put up with the hassle of changing speeds via pulley. Now, there are a few things about the DVR that I really don't like: 1) no emergency stop switch; 2) not real easy to get it changed from forward to reverse (meaning I usually have to push the button several times to get it changed); 3) uh, that's it for me. I absolutely love being able to change speeds immediately and realized that I was just "dealing" with whatever speed I was in with the stepped pulleys. Another plus is that you can pick whichever pulley ratio (all the former ratios are still there) that gives you the speed range you want. I usually leave mine in the middle set, or one slower. You can drop down to the lowest ratio, dial in the slowest DVR speed, and take naps between revolutions, or so it seems. I have never needed anything that slow, nor have I wandered into the higher speed capabilities with pulley ratios above the middle set. The DVR with pulleys still intact makes a tremendously capable lathe, speed wise.

ron

I really like the upgrade variable speed motor. It offers safety and makes turning more pleasurable. I have before placed the pulley at too high a speed and had the wood come flying off. The only improvements would be to have a complete operating manual. There is a lot to guess about the instructions and the settings, which I do not fool with for fear of not knowing what will happen. Also you will find out that the buttons are very hard to activate. Good luck with it, you will enjoy the upgrade.

Big problem "RPS error 0" Apparently there is a rotation position sensor which shuts the motor down. No help from Nova, Tecknatool, or Striateck. Anyone have any luck fixing this problem? The Tecknatool website has several suggestions, none of which work. ARRRRGH!!