Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade for Nova 1624

Upgrade for Nova 1624

Has anyone purchased the DVR upgrade motor for the Nova 1624 lathe? What are your thoughts and have you had any issues with the motor?

Yes. I've had mine for a year or two now. I love the upgrade and haven't regretted it one bit. The motor is strong and I've had 0 issues.
    USMC '97-'01

Thanks Adam. It looks like a nice upgrade to an already great lathe.I've owned three Nova 1624's just bought my latest one in Oct. ,replacing my Nova Galaxy. It is a very fine lathe but I decided I didn't need that large of a lathe since all I turn is bowls. Thanks for the info.

You can buy the upgrade from Striatech for :

$629.99

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Walsh View Post
    Has anyone purchased the DVR upgrade motor for the Nova 1624 lathe? What are your thoughts and have you had any issues with the motor?
    Just as an update. I bought the DVR upgrade from Teknatool for my Nova 1624. It's very quiet, smooth and changing the motors was very easy to do. Looking forward to many fun days of turning.

Do you guys know all the functions of the upgrade. The supplied manual is at best very limited to its use. It did not even talk about pushing in the speed button for 50 rpm jumps. I found that out on the internet. What is stepping function? What is with the screen that follows? What the heck does ktint+/-kprop mean." Can you see my frustration with the sorry instructions. Please help, Roger

I saw the stepping function on mine too. I actually tried it with just the chuck on it. What it seemed to do was start and stop intermittently. Why one would need such a function on a lathe, I'm not sure? I suppose I'll be contacting Teknatool with questions later.

Harold, info@striatech.com, sent me two PDF files. I can send to your email. I do not know how to on this site. They tell all about there product. Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll contact them also.

Roger,
    Did you purchase yours from Striatech? Seems like Nova is charging 800 for what additional benefit?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Roger,
    Did you purchase yours from Striatech? Seems like Nova is charging 800 for what additional benefit?

Bob
    I purchased mine from Teknatool. I got a 10% veterans discount on it and it was actually $7.00 cheaper than Amazon which also included the shipping on my order. I assume you know Striatech is owned by Nova/Teknatool.

Hello all,
    I've just about decided to purchase the Nova 1624 lathe, but I have a question that I can't find an answer to. The lathe has 8 speeds, the slowest being 214 rpm and the highest 3000+ rpm but what are the other speeds? This is not mentioned in the mfr's specs or in any discussion that I've read.
    Can anyone tell me?
    Thanks.

214, 360, 684, 1020, 1440, 2160, 2880, 3600. Bought 3/2009.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks, Allen
    I presume those ranges allow you to get somewhat unbalanced pieces into safer, more symmetrical shape?
    I would like to be able to afford the DVR update, but it's not in the budget at this time.
    Another question for the 1624 owners...can you use a 16" Longworth Chuck or 16" Cole jaws over the bed, or must you rotate the headstock for clearance.
    Sorry to be full of questions, but that's how you learn stuff.
    WDM

The nova Cole jaws fit over the bed.
    C&C WELCOME