Thread: Record 20C or Stanley 20 plane manual

Record 20C or Stanley 20 plane manual

Does anyone have a manual (or a link) for a Record 20C compass plane, or the Stanley equivalent (a Stanley 20 I believe)?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 20C that's still stored in the box it came in. I've used it a few times, but never noticed if there is a manual in the box, or not. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.

Thanks Tom. I imagine I can figure it out, but have not used one and have been surprised at the information in the pamphlets or manuals people have posted over the years about planes I thought I knew pretty well.

Trying to remember where I saw instructions. I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKOubV3B48 Didn't watch it all the way through, but it might help.

The things I recall from reading the instructions, wherever I saw them, are:
    1. The screw that pushes/pulls the sole into a curve is retained by another screw. Loosen that second screw before adjusting.
    2. Adjust the sole so that the curvature is just past the curve you want: less curved for convex curves, more for concave.
    3. Be sure to sharpen the blade as close to dead square across as you possibly can.
    4. You can't skew the plane, so get your blade sharp.

Blog Entries
    4. You can't skew the plane, so get your blade sharp.
    Au contraire! It may change some of the dynamics, but it can be useful. See the 8th post in this thread for an old post on a #113 compass plane:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?121761

Sometimes it is easier to spend a little time figuring out how something works than trying to find a manual.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The booklet I got with my Record is just an overview of their line of bench, plow and combination planes. There's no mention of the 20c. Maybe there was also a manual included with the plane but I don't have it. The box has a picture of the labeled parts. I could scan that and send it if you want but it probably won't put you much further ahead.

Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Does anyone have a manual (or a link) for a Record 20C compass plane, or the Stanley equivalent (a Stanley 20 I believe)?

Thanks in advance.
    What do you want to know, Nicholas? I have a Record #020. As I recall, there is a knob to curve the bed, and another to lock it in place. The blade adjusts as per a Bailey bench plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Not looking for anything in particular. I have been looking for a compass plane for a while and just wondered if there was a manual or pamphlet that came along with them.

As I said in Post No. 3 I have been surprised by what I have learned over the years by reading booklets or instruction manuals people have posted for planes I thought I knew well. Thought it was worth asking if anyone has one (it may well be nothing came with them originally, I don’t know).

Planecraft, Hand planing by modern methods.
    Published by C&J Hampton LTD.
    This is a book describing all Record Planes, the seventh impression 1959, is the last and fullest of the series.
    It describes all of the Record Planes of the era. As most are copies of Stanley planes, the instructions are good for both.
    Chapter 15 tells all about the Circular plane No.020, and how to use it.
    Blade sharpening, and setting is the same as bench planes, the locking screw is loose, the large adjusting screw sets the curvature.
    The trick to using one of these planes, is to work "down hill" in regards to the wood grain.

Mark

No manual in my box. I never remember thinking that I needed one.

Thanks Tom.

Thanks to all who responded. Plane is on the way. Will let you all know if I have any issues.