Thread: 6" to 5" drain and sewer PVC adapter?

6" to 5" drain and sewer PVC adapter?

I need to connect my current dust collection system to my new jointer.

The main line for my dust collection system is 6" drain and sewer PVC.

My new jointer has a 5" dust port.

I have two questions.

1. Does anyone know of a a 6" to 5" drain and sewer PVC adapter?

2. Assuming I can find the right reducer, I still want a flex hose to make the final connection. So which 5" flex hose should I buy to connect to the jointer's dust port?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I will let you look at Fernco to figure it out. You need to measure the outer diameter carefully then check the catalog. for the 5" I would guess clay, asbestos cement, or cast iron 4".
    When I had to do this with cast iron to pvc I had a hard time getting it over the CI. I put a Chern plug inside the rubber fitting and expanded it for 30 minutes or so. It then was a nice easy fit which soon shrunk back down
    Bill D
    https://www.fernco.com/products/flex...tock-couplings
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-25-2019 at 3:02 PM.

5" isnt a standard pvc size in the US so 5" fittings aren't the easiest to come by. Is it a metric size on the jointer? Hammer had 120mm which is approximately 4-3/4

It's a Grizzly jointer. I measured with calipers and the port is actually a little less than 5", so I think a standard 5" flex hose may go over the top of the jointer port. This is good.

But now my challenge is finding a 6" to 5" reducer for my 6" PVC pipe. Like you said, 5" isn't a standard PVC size, so there are no PVC reducers that go from 6" to 5". Any ideas?

I needed a 6 to 5 converter to go from my SDD to a delta dust collector and ended up buying this fernco coupler. Needed a little duct tape but works perfectly.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...uct_id=1056-65

You could use a 5 to 6" snaplock fitting, and use 6" hose.

Have you looked at "hub less rubber couplings" in the plumbing stores? They are intended for joining two drain pipes that don't have connection hubs on them and come in straight and reducing designs, as well as elbows. They have stainless "radiator hose" type band clamps on each end, so being made of rubber and with the band clamps, you can get quite a bit of size adjustment with them. I haven't ever needed 6 to 5", but they have served me well for other size adjustments, like adapting my Dust Deputy to the central vacuum system pipes, and adapting a Ryobi dust collection bag to a planer (elbow version used here). A good plumbing supply will have many versions and sizes, but since plumbing fittings aren't sized to OD measurements, it will help if you can take short sample pieces of your two pipes with you to check for fit.

Charley

I'll take a picture when I'm in the shop later today. Menards has a rubber pipe coupling that will work.

Remember how I did it after looking. Plumb Quick P1056-66 6"x6" rubber coupling from Menards. One end of that over the 6" sewer pvc coupling and a 6" to 5" dust collector hose reducer from Grizzly in the other side. 5" flex hose from there to a 5" blast gate. Blast gate connected to the sander with another rubber coupling from Menards (I cut part of it off, no number left). Hose and blast gate came from Lee Valley.

Can't figure out how to add a picture, if you want one tell me where to send it to.

If you are using the green sewer pvc pipe, you can take a standard aluminum 6” to 5” reducer from the hvac section at HD or Lowe’s and it fits over the green pipe and a 5” spiral dust hose fits over the 5” side. If your tool is 5” then the hose slips over. If it’s 120mm euro machine get a 4” to 4” Fernco and the 5” hose slips over the Fernco and the Fernco fits over the 120mm port.

5" pvc is common for conduit which is gray and costs more. Might check an electrical supply house. their fitting are more likely to be gentle curves to make pulling cables easier.
    Bil lD.

12. Just dropping this here in case someone is looking down the road. FlexPVC has a 6" OD to 5" OD reducer that I've used in a few fittings in my shop for 6 years with no issue. It slides inside the PVC and inside the flex hose. A little silicone and/or tape and/or screws will hold it in the PVC. They work great!

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p...ersal-Reducers

I’m late to the party as well, but I’ve used those reducer step cones that go from 6” to 1” in inch increments.

Years ago a neighbor had borrowed a GMC van that needed a radiator hose. It was a weird setup the hose was larger on one end then the other. Rather then spend lots of money on a custom fit one we got a generic bent hose of the larger size. On the smaller end we put a short piece of the old smaller hose over the fitting then jammed the big hose over that. With two hoseclamps it worked great and did not leak.
    So I would buy a 6 inch fernco and wrap lots of rubber tape over the 5" fitting until it is a good fit inside a 6" fernco. A wrap of a old serpentine belt or a inner tube strip would work as well.
    Bill D