Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Festool ROS

Recommendations for Festool ROS

After using some Festool equipment over the weekend, I've decided to take the plunge into the Fespool and replace some of the Bosch tools I have. I'll still keep the cordless Bosch tools, as they are very handy when working away from my shop. Unfortunately, one of the tools that has given me the most grief is my Bosch GEX 125-A ROS. After nearly two hours of sanding pine planks to be painted, my hands were numb for the rest of the evening. However, the Domino 500 was a joy to use and I now regret not buying one sooner. I would have used Kreg pocket screws for the two small jobs, but my friend didn't want any exposed holes in the wood.

I have narrowed my choice in ROS to the ETS 150/3 and the ETS EC 150/3, but have not had the opportunity to handle either of them yet. I appreciate any recommendations, or reasons not to consider either of them.

I have the CTM 36 E extractor and am impressed with the way it works with the Domino. The hose even fits on the dust port of my Bosch ROS. If Oneida will answer my email, I will likely buy the Ultimate Dust Deputy and move my noisy shop vac to the garage.

Hi Mike, I have the ETS125REQ 5" ROS and the DTS400EQ sander.

I use the ROS a lot, really like it, no more numb hands and dust collection is great.

At work we use a Dust Deputy, at home I don't bother, I don't generate much sanding dust by volume............Rod.

I have no experience with the ETS EC but love my ETS 150/3. I used to get numb hands with my PC ROS’s, not anymore. Only downside is the price.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I purchased the ETS EC 150/5 in January as an upgrade to a Bosch I had for years. I like it (and am using it with the central DC system).

I looked at the /3 vs the /5 and decided on the /5. My thinking (right or wrong) was that I wanted the speed and aggressiveness of the /5 and would go to finer abrasive to achieve the final finish. So far this has been the case - I can put 80 grit sandpaper on it and remove material in a hurry, or I can work down through the fine Granat discs for finishing.

Others may have insight on differences between the /3 and /5, I have only used the /5

I have the ETS 150/3, but that new brushless version is very nice. I really do suggest you try to get some hands-on with both to see which feels best in your hand. Handling comfort, pardon the expression, does matter when you use a tool a lot...and you will use your Festool sander a lot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I went with the 125 ets ec, because the 5" paper fits better in my small parts drawers. I dont feel I'm missing out on the extra 1" but I don't do a lot of oversized items or use it every day.

Folks, remember he’s asking about the /3 vs /5, not 5” vs 6”. I’m interested too because that’s the main decision to me. 5” v 6” I think has more to do with the size of the projects.

Thanks, everyone. I'll be at the store on Wednesday to try out each of the 150/3's. I'm picking up some other Festool tools at the same time, but couldn't decide on the 150/3.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Folks, remember he’s asking about the /3 vs /5, not 5” vs 6”. I’m interested too because that’s the main decision to me. 5” v 6” I think has more to do with the size of the projects.
    Matt, I'm actually interested in the differences between the two 150/3 models. The EC version has a lower profile, while the non-EC version is taller. I've read and watched reviews talking about the benefits and downsides of each, and sometimes the opinions from different sources are conflicting (i.e. "it's tall...I hate it" and "it's tall...I love it"). I suppose I'll decide once I've handled both.

ETS EC 150 is definitely better than the old ETS 150.

It has low profile design, brushless motor, carbide pad braking, active electronic vibration control and jetstream dust extraction.

Oops! I guess my mind projected my question into yours!

Have you settled on /3 and not /5?

I have the ETS EC 125/3 and also a Rotex 150. The dust collection on both is really great, and the ETS EC is light and stops almost instantly and no numb hands. The one thing that I find challenging is how to deal with the dust extraction hose as it gets in the way and can cause the sander to become unbalanced, especially the ETS EC. I usually drape the hose over my shoulder but others may have better solutions.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Oops! I guess my mind projected my question into yours!

Have you settled on /3 and not /5?
    Yes, I've decided on the /3 because I'm also picking up the Rotex 150 for the heavy duty sanding. Depending on the bundles offered, I might also get the Rotex 90.

This will be an expensive month, but I budgeted for it and want to take advantage of the generous dealer discounts (at least for pricing in Germany they appear to be generous).
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 03-25-2019 at 8:22 PM.

If budget is flexible Ets ec hands down. We have 6 or so of the older model ets 150’s and 3 of the ets ec’s. Nobody uses the old ets 150s hardly any more. The balance, feel, performance is so much better with the ets ec.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    Yes, I've decided on the /3 because I'm also picking up the Rotex 150 for the heavy duty sanding. Depending on the bundles offered, I might also get the Rotex 90.

This will be an expensive month, but I budgeted for it and want to take advantage of the generous dealer discounts (at least for pricing in Germany they appear to be generous).
    Don't look at the spec sheet and think that a Rotax is a partial replacement for a /5 ROS sander just because it matches the /5 pattern on ROS mode. It works for small amounts of ROS work but is basically a beast.