Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry level dust collector

Entry level dust collector

I have a shopvac with dust deputy, but am considering an upgrade to a dust collector and doing the ol PVC run with drops. All the dust collectors look the same save price and color. I noticed that the grizzly catalog labeled all of theirs as made in Vietnam so I figured they probably all are.

What are folks opinions on the matter? Is there any difference in quality or performance or is it just color?

Hi Matthew, it really depends upon what you need.

Perhaps telling us a bit about your shop and machinery would help............Regards, Rod.

I see little variation in the single stage dust collectors, like the Harbor Freight. It's a fairly simple machine, essentially a motor with an impeller. I would not be surprised to find that they all come from the same factory, and get rebadged. The big thing to be aware of with the single stage collectors is that they might act as dust pumps until the bag is "seasoned", at which point there have been reports that they are better than some of the sub-micron filters. If I was looking at a single stage collector, I'd probably get one with a sub-micron filter on top, or buy the HF unit, and add the Wynn.

For cyclones it starts to get much more complex, and you'll get a lot more variation.

Hi Matthew, I had the same dilemma a while back. There was a dust collector study in one of the wood working magazines that convinced me to buy the Delta 50-760. 1/1/2 HP. 1 micron bag on top. It had the best static pressure curve of all those tested. It has 2 4" inlets. I have 2 runs of spiral pipe down the walls of the shop and then flex to the machines. Don't know if this machine is still available but I recommend it if it is. I spent about $300 on it 7-8 years ago.

It's not a high end solution in any way, shape, or form. But it does fine enough for me in my basement shop (along with an air filtration unit.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Carver View Post
    I have a shopvac with dust deputy, but am considering an upgrade to a dust collector and doing the ol PVC run with drops. All the dust collectors look the same save price and color. I noticed that the grizzly catalog labeled all of theirs as made in Vietnam so I figured they probably all are.

What are folks opinions on the matter? Is there any difference in quality or performance or is it just color?
    Matthew, a dust collection system ideally needs to be matched with the equipment to ensure it will work as desired. More machines create more dust, as well as the need to run more channel and drops. A single, small machine may not require a more than a small, lower powered DC, say 1 hp. However, long runs need more hp. Then you have to consider the size of the PVC you will run. 4" pipe has half the capacity of 5" pipe, which in turn has half the capacity of 6" pipe. The net effect is that a 1 hp DC running on 4" is likely to be totally ineffectual. Frankly, a half-assed DC system is a waste of money. So, to get a better idea, tell us about the machines you plan to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My opinion, stay away from anything that exhausts through a bag. I started out with one and got tired of just redistributing dust from the machine to everywhere else in the shop, including my lungs. I'm leary of the idea that the bag becomes "seasoned" with dust and becomes better. It just gets clogged up until you clean it, then the process starts over.

I'm currently using a modified Harbor Freight unit with a Wynn filter and, for the money, am pleased. It doesn't service the whole shop, though, just one machine at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    My opinion, stay away from anything that exhausts through a bag. I started out with one and got tired of just redistributing dust from the machine to everywhere else in the shop, including my lungs. I'm leary of the idea that the bag becomes "seasoned" with dust and becomes better. It just gets clogged up until you clean it, then the process starts over.
    It's been tested, and shown to be a real thing, via a Dylos meter. https://woodgears.ca/dust/dylos.html

However, I agree with you, the filter is the better approach.

Thanks for the responses. I have a 12x20 shed workshop. I'm running bench top level tools and looking to run a length of 4" pipe with drops to table saw, jointer/planer, and miter saw. I was eyeing the HF unit and the Grizzly one HP unit with the upper and lower bag. Didn't know if it made any difference compared to the wall hanging units. I don't think I'll get anything bigger than that. I'm trying to keep it under $250 ish

Honestly, if that was my budget, I think I'd stick with the shop vac, and buy/build an air filter. You're basically going to get chip collection, and that's about it.

If you're going with bags, I like the Woodtek ones better than the others. I also own a Grizzly, and a Delta, but no experience with the HF. The Woodtek thick bags are better than the others BY FAR. It's the only one I'll use in finished houses. Woodtek is the store brand of Woodworkers Supply. The Woodtek stuff looks like it comes out of the same Taiwanese factory as a number of other brands, but I've never seen the thick bags on other DC's.

I own, and have owned other smaller ones, but in my experience, anything less than 3hp is wishful thinking. No room for one in a 12x20 though, but it does roll easily through regular sized doors.

Just to be clear, the only parts from the HF unit that I'm using are the motor and fan. Didn't ever even try out the bag, looked like pure junk.

Thanks for all the perspectives. I just looked at Woodtek and it only reinforces my questions about the differences between these brands. It it just the bag?

Nick, do you use blast gates or move the hose from machine to machine?

No blast gates, I move the various machines (SawStop PCS, 1632 drum sander, benchtop planer, jointer, router table, bandsaw) to the DC. It's only a one car garage, so they don't have far to go. I've shortened the connecting hose since this photo was taken.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, thats probably a realistic scenario for me.