Thread: Help With Pricing Norris Plane

Help With Pricing Norris Plane

Please free to move or delete this post if it is inappropriate.

I could use some help pricing a Norris smoothing plane. In the past I was primarily a hand tool guy but as the symptoms of my muscular dystrophy have increased my ability to control tools have diminished. I have been selling tools in out classified section with great results. I offer the tool at a decent price and other members have quickly purchased them.

Most of the previous tools have been from Lie-Nielsen and since they were still hade it was easy to set a price. I have a smoother that I acquired from Garrett Hack twenty years ago. I used it daily for many years and when getting ready to sell a friend pointed out that it is a Norris and probably had collector value. I know nothing about collecting tools so I home that someone here might have some knowledge to share. Attached are two pictures.

Thanks - Frank

Side Medium Web view.jpgNorris Medium Web view.jpg

Condition, condition, condition!

Hi Frank — I’m definitely not an expert on infills but recently made a dent in that market. Looking at your photos I would suggest that you have a decent user. There seems to be a difference in desirability between prewar and postwar models. Prewar will probably have a rosewood infill. Postwar mostly likely beech. Also what model do you have? A5, A6 or another model. I like to follow the prices of these planes on eBay and see them ranging from $250 to $500, again depending on condition. Here’s a link on Norris plane dating that might help:

https://sites.google.com/site/norrisplanedating/home

If your main goal is to move the plane try offering it here for the lower price range. Hope this helps a bit.
    I wish that I knew what I know now... Rod Stewart from Ooh La La

Thanks for the information. Based on the pictures I have an A5 - Post war model. I didn't even know that there were models, I just used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    Condition, condition, condition!

Hi Frank — I’m definitely not an expert on infills but recently made a dent in that market. Looking at your photos I would suggest that you have a decent user. There seems to be a difference in desirability between prewar and postwar models. Prewar will probably have a rosewood infill. Postwar mostly likely beech. Also what model do you have? A5, A6 or another model. I like to follow the prices of these planes on eBay and see them ranging from $250 to $500, again depending on condition. Here’s a link on Norris plane dating that might help:

https://sites.google.com/site/norrisplanedating/home

If your main goal is to move the plane try offering it here for the lower price range. Hope this helps a bit.

Look at completed sales on eBay and other online sites as a guide to pricing. Then consider adding "...or best reasonable offer..." as part of your ad.

Sorry to hear that your body is betraying you.

Thanks for the kind words Bill. It seems we all have issues with our bodies wearing out as we age, my issue just has a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Look at completed sales on eBay and other online sites as a guide to pricing. Then consider adding "...or best reasonable offer..." as part of your ad.

Sorry to hear that your body is betraying you.