Thread: At Least the Shipping is Free

Blog Entries

At Least the Shipping is Free

Sometimes insomnia catches me. Looking at things on an auction site that shall not be named this time of the morning can be dangerous.

Just looked at the clock, it is so late it is actually early!

Saw this wonder up for auction:

FREE SHIPPING!!!.jpg

It is a type 9 in horrible condition. Look at the knob and tote, the bolts holding them don't even look right. And only $64.95 or best offer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    You didn't even mention the repair weld.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've seen many planes in similar condition and it makes me wonder how much it was used. To get it repaired and source those replacement parts the owner must have really liked and used it. I've got a type 15 5 1/4 with mismatched knob and tote and an unmarked blade that just works great and would be one of that last planes i'd let go if/when i need to.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Hope, springing eternally...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You didn't even mention the repair weld.
    It speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    I've seen many planes in similar condition and it makes me wonder how much it was used. To get it repaired and source those replacement parts the owner must have really liked and used it. I've got a type 15 5 1/4 with mismatched knob and tote and an unmarked blade that just works great and would be one of that last planes i'd let go if/when i need to.
    Or their situation may have been like mine at one time, they had the ability to do the welding and handle carving but not enough cash on hand to purchase a replacement plane.

But yes, one of my 'loved' planes, a #65-1/2, was dropped, broke off a side cheek and was repaired using JB Weld.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

3 repaired treasures: A #10 and a #10 1/2, both with one cheek repaired and a 4 1/2 that had the toe broke off and brazed back on. The 4 1/2 i've had since the mid 80's gets a ton of use with a LV PMV11 blade and chipbreaker. Both 10's need new blades, lots of pitting on the flat side. They were found on ebay, one had a shattered tote and the 10 1/2 had a round oak dowel as a knob.
    20190325_151752 (1)small_DxO.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 03-25-2019 at 3:48 PM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Blog Entries
    Dang, you seem to have an even bigger accumulation of old planes than me.

jtk

Those are are just the users, many more are awaiting attention.

It's a problem..... I think i need to find a support group

Blog Entries

Understood, my urge to buy has to be resisted often. Though when something is priced too low, it has to come home with me.

jtk

A bargain compared to the French seller of a very rare “beader plane” that looks a lot like a Stanley 113 to the untutored eye. Only $720, plus shipping.

There's a 12 step program. Check with Ralph at https://accidentalwoodworker.blogspot.com/
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron