Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rasp Performance Questions

Rasp Performance Questions

I have a couple Nicholson rasps that I had occasion to use on a current project. They work ok, but cut poorly (in my view) and leave a coarse result. To those that have used the premium versions like Auriou, to they really perform that much better?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I forgot the purchase pain as soon as I started using mine. The Auriou rasps I have are really nice tools. I hope to add some more hand stitched rasps when I have some spare funds.

I bought 3 Lioger rasps recently and have used them some, must say I really like them. I'd only used a cheapo 4-in-1 file/rasp before so they are way better than that.
    More recently I purchased a "Shinto saw rasp" from Amazon and was quite surprised with how nice of a finish the fine side leaves. If you want to try something under $20 I'd recommend it.

Blog Entries
    Lioger or Auriou -- hand cut rasps rock!!!

Blog Entries
    Rob, you do not mention the model number of the Nicholson rasp you used.

The performance if measured in the surface left is much better.

It has been close to two years ago since Lowell Holmes lamented:

I have three wood rasps. An Ariou, Nickleson 50, and a rat tail with no name.

I am deeply disappointed with the 50. In my mind it is useless. The other two perform magnificently. For
    the life of me, I do not understand why the Nickleson rasps are highly regarded.

Just venting.
    If you view in linear my post is #8 and has images of the surface left by the rasps:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?255103

The Nicholson #50 is often referred to as a pattern maker's rasp. A regular rasp would likely be even rougher.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Rob, you do not mention the model number of the Nicholson rasp you used......The Nicholson #50 is often referred to as a pattern maker's rasp. A regular rasp would likely be even rougher.
    I'll have to check when I get home. They're both pretty coarse and leave a finish full of grooves. Feathering it lightly for some finishing strokes helps but I still need to hit it with a spokeshave or other tool to smooth things out.

Also check the country of manufacture. My #49 and #50 are "Made in USA." Some of the ones made elsewhere are miserable. That said, I do like my two Aurious!

You might also investigate Corradi rasps. They are not hand stitched but are supposed to come very close at a fraction of the cost. They might be a good way for you to dip your toe into the water instead of just jumping into the deep end. I've not tried them yet but plan to investigate at some point. Sadly my available space and budget do not keep up with my "need" for nice tools.

My Auriou modeling rasp moves wood very well considering how fine it is (I think it is a 13 grain but honestly, I cannot remember). Based on its performance, I am guessing that you would be very pleased with an Auriou, Liogier, or a Pechar if you could find one. Something a bit finer than a Nicholson 50 paternmaker's rasp will probably move wood about as quickly but leave a much nicer finish.

They may be out there but I've yet to see anyone write that they are disappointed with hand stitched rasps and they are going back to the machine made ones. Bite the bullet and buy one or two. The more you use them, the happier you will be with your investment.

Blog Entries
    I use a #49 (the rougher of the two) for . .. well, roughing although the finish left is quite smooth for a rasp. I then move to finer rasps, shaves, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Both are 10” long and about 3/4” wide. One is marked “Nicholson made in Brazil” and “bastard”. The other is from Japan and marked “Trucut 40”. I’m guessing they are hardware store/home center grade. I can’t recall where I got them.

Blog Entries
    I have rasps by Auriou and by Grammercy. The speed of cut and resulting finish is beyond comparison to Nicholsons, of which I also own quite a few. As someone said above- you quickly will forget the pain of purchase price.

Please note that points per inch are not the only determination of fineness of cut. I find that the Auriou rasps with fewer PPI than Grammercy, actually have a finer finish because the points themselves are finer. I'm not at all knocking Grammercy here- just saying go by manufacturer recommendation on what PPI is fine versus coarse. For Grammercy the range from 8 to 25 and for Auriou from 4 to 15, but I assure you the Auriou 15 will be as fine as or finer than the Grammercy 25 PPI in my experience, and I do have both and both are excellent rasps.

Blog Entries
    Both are 10” long and about 3/4” wide. One is marked “Nicholson made in Brazil” and “bastard”.
    The bastard designation on a file or rasp is usually a rougher cut for any grouping of uses.

The image of the Nicholson listed on Amazon as a bastard cut looks like it would leave deeper grooves than my scrub plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The bastard designation on a file or rasp is usually a rougher cut for any grouping of uses.

The image of the Nicholson listed on Amazon as a bastard cut looks like it would leave deeper grooves than my scrub plane.

jtk
    Good observation. It looks much like a plowed field.

My son and I have 4 Nicholson rasps (1 made in USA, 3 made in Brazil) sharpened by Boggs Tool and File Sharpening Company. Amazing improvement. Love my Auriou rasps, especially the finer grain and very coarse grains, but in my hands, I cannot say that the medium grain Auriou rasps cut any better than the Nicholsons sharpened by Boggs. As Malcolm and Barney noted, the finer Auriou rasps really leave a nice surface, but if more rapid wood removal is needed with a clean cut, consider the Boggs service. Apparently they are a large company, but the service we received was personal and the turn around was pretty quick. The cost per rasp was $8.50, so it seemed worth a try before investing in more expensive tools. We were pleasantly surprised with the results. The teeth on the Nicholsons, however, do not extend all the way to the edge as they do on the Auriou rasps, if that is an issue. I have no experience with other brands.

My son and I own 4 Nicholson rasps (one made in USA, three made in Brazil) sharpened by Boggs Tool and File Sharpening Service. Amazing improvement. Love my Auriou rasps, especially the fine and coarse grains, but in my hands, I cannot say that the medium grain Auriou rsaps cut any better than the Nicholsons sharpened by Boggs. As noted by Barney and Malcolm, the fine grain Auriou raps leave a really nice surface, but if the goal is more rapid removal of wood with a clean cut, consider the Boggs service for your Nicholsons. Apparently they are a large company, but the service we received was friendly, and the turn around was quick. The cost per rasp was $8.50, so it seemed worth a try before purchasing more expensive tools. We were pleasantly surprised. As noted in previous threads, the teeth on the Nicholsons do not extend all the way to the edges, as they do on the Auriou rasps, if that is an issue. I have no experience with other brands.