Thread: Advice for fixing "spots" in finish only visible under bright light

Advice for fixing "spots" in finish only visible under bright light

I was perfectly happy with these until a friend asked me for close-up pictures of an amplifier project and the flash revealed the two bright spots at the right edge of the left unit. Now I wish I hadn't taken the darn pic.

The finish is 1 1/2 lb. amber shellac over the walnut with a S-W Classics Varnish topcoat. Can't imagine what's causing the light spots. A few Watts tunneling their way out?

I have Winton Oil Colors I use with Field Oil for repairs but I'd rather not have to re-coat the entire chassis with varnish. The Oil colors used without topcoat never seem to dry. Any suggestions?

003.jpg

Bill, those are beautiful pieces. Nice job wrapping the grain around.

I wouldn't worry about the spots.

Blog Entries
    My guess would be that they are glue spots that didn't see enough sanding. You can usually reveal these in advance by wiping down with mineral spirits.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Mix a drop of your varnish, a drop of solvent and a spot of dye that is the correct colour and touch up with a fine pencil brush. Check the colour match in an out of the way area before applying to the front. Don't try to completely hide them, just blend them so they don't hit you in the eye. Note the 'precise' units of measurement. Artistic license is required. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My guess would be that they are glue spots that didn't see enough sanding. You can usually reveal these in advance by wiping down with mineral spirits.
    This is quite possible. I've noticed that when I use the flash on my DLSR, it seems to "penetrate" the finish a bit and things show up that I can't otherwise see under various combinations of room light or daylight. I've speculated that it is because the camera "sees" just a bit into the infra-red and because of the image processing in the camera's processor, we get to see it shifted back into the red spectrum.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Mix a drop of your varnish, a drop of solvent and a spot of dye that is the correct colour and touch up with a fine pencil brush. Check the colour match in an out of the way area before applying to the front. Don't try to completely hide them, just blend them so they don't hit you in the eye. Note the 'precise' units of measurement. Artistic license is required. Cheers
    That's a plan. Thank you.

If you can't see them without the flash, they are in the "ain't broke" category.