Thread: Can these come apart?

Question Can these come apart?

I have a yost (shop Fox) 10” front vise that I want to paint.
    Im not sure if you can disassemble this further.
    Looks like a metal tube with a slit on the side on the inside of this hole.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is also this hole on the vise bottom but I don’t see a set screw or anything at the end of the hole...
    55E92938-E347-441C-B505-97B8050812FF.jpg

Seems like they should come apart. I'll bet the pin you found is what's holding the handle flange on that steel screw. I don't know if they have harbor freight in Hawaii, but a punch like one of these should let you knock out that pin. LINK. You can probably find something similar at a BORG or hardware store there.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-24-2019 at 8:19 PM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

In the first picture it shows a roll pin holding the cast piece to the threaded shaft. You should be able to drive it out with a pin punch and a hammer the correct size as Frederick has said also.

That's called a "roll pin" (also go by the names of Spring Pin, or "C" pin) holding the T to the shaft. Using the correct sized "pin punch" for the hole diameter, it should be fairly easy to tap it through, to get it out.

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. No set of pin punches (ordering now), but a river worked great:

2053B5E4-6605-4852-81C4-378410CB99C9.jpg

(Edit: Looks like you got it out as I was typing.)

As others have replied, the metal tube is called a roll pin, or a spring pin, or a tension pin. A punch of the appropriate size can help drive it out.
    Roll Pins.jpg
    A roll pin punch has a boss that keeps it from slipping, which may help you drive it back in after you've finished with your painting.
    Roll Pin Punch.jpg Roll Pin Punch End.jpg
    The one in the picture is made by Grace, which is a maker of gunsmithing tools.
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; 03-24-2019 at 8:36 PM.
    Chuck Taylor

If the roll pin has lost most of its spring, like they do sometimes, Ace Hardware has them in stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If the roll pin has lost most of its spring, like they do sometimes, Ace Hardware has them in stock.
    You may want to check it before replacing to see if it is inch or metric.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks like a roll pin holding the handle housing casting on the shaft. A roll pin punch is the right tool to remove it, but a straight pin punch near the size of the bore will do if you're careful.

I tried to separate that part on a shoulder vise screw I got from Woodcraft years ago. I was never able to drive the roll pin out of it. It had seized for whatever reason, and I had to stop beating on it before I cracked the casting.

A ot of times roll pins only go in one way. If it does not move try driving it from the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    A ot of times roll pins only go in one way. If it does not move try driving it from the other side.
    oh michael where was this post 5 days ago! I had a helluva time trying to get the pin out after driving it in 3/4 of the way only to discover that I needed to rotate the handle 180. managed to get it. thanks.

Sorry for the late response Mishkin. I am a little slow sometimes, and am a little leery at offering suggestions, as I feel others may be better at it then I.

If the roll pin was pressed in and it pushed some metal from inside the hole forward ahead of it then trying to drive the pin out in that direction can be difficult at times.
    Also sometimes tapered reamers are used for sizing the hole, and that can cause the same problem.
    If the pin goes in too hard then immediately stop and try from the other side of the part.

Blog Entries
    If the pin goes in too hard then immediately stop and try from the other side of the part.
    Kind of the old rule of mechanics, if something ain't working, something ain't right.

Or if one way isn't working, try another way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)