Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best quality shapers w/ small(er) footprint...

I was reading this, even though it's an older thread. I'm kind of surprised that no one had mentioned Delta, Powermatic or Grizzly. Reversible, interchangeable spindles, reasonable footprint along with size and price. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    I was reading this, even though it's an older thread. I'm kind of surprised that no one had mentioned Delta, Powermatic or Grizzly. Reversible, interchangeable spindles, reasonable footprint along with size and price. Just a thought.
    In the OP, Jeff mentioned he wasn’t interested in that flavor of shaper because it was too light duty, which I tend to agree with.

There was a Minimax T3 with sliding table on BOYD at OWWM for $500 obo a month or so back that I almost went after but it was a 10 hr drive one way and didn’t feel like sorting out freight details / $$ but looking back, that would have been a good choice. 3 HP, Italian built, sliding table, heavier build than Taiwanese clones and old Deltas / PM. Oh well.
    Still waters run deep.

Phillip I too passed up a T3 that I regretted for a while. I have a Minimax T50 with a sliding table and tilt spindle,5h.p. single phase 1 1/4'' spindle. I love this machine and use it constantly. Not sure how much space you have available but this one is not super small. I could measure the footprint at my shop and let you know. The t40 are a nice size and 3h.p. 1 1/4'' spindle is pretty common.

We have been looking for good deals on used SCMI or similar shapers so if any of you fine gentleman have one or more to part with please give me a call at (870)679-9618.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Jeff,

Did you ever solve this conundrum? I’m in a similar place (space wise) and came across this thread when researching shapers.
    How much space do you have to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    How much space do you have to work with?
    Hah, not enough...I’m in a basement shop that’s maybe 400 sq ft of chopped up but usable shop space with lots of obstacles. A footprint / table size of 3’x3’ with a sliding table or a sliding table that could come off fairly easily would be about the max I could shoe-horn in, unless I got rid of the big Tannewitz Model U table saw and replaced that space with a shaper, which I’ve considered...it has about a 42”x42” ish table.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Hah, not enough...I’m in a basement shop that’s maybe 400 sq ft of chopped up but usable shop space with lots of obstacles. A footprint / table size of 3’x3’ with a sliding table or a sliding table that could come off fairly easily would be about the max I could shoe-horn in, unless I got rid of the big Tannewitz Model U table saw and replaced that space with a shaper, which I’ve considered...it has about a 42”x42” ish table.
    3x3 would fit the "small/medium" size imports. My bridgewood 511 is 36 wide and 28 or 29" deep (but needs another 10" for the dust collection hose on the fence.) The 511s regardless of manufacturer are super common, and relatively capable, sometimes 5.5hp, usually 7.5.

Otherwise a wadkin bursgreen brs seems to be about the most cast iron in a compact package, finding one will be the issue.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 11-23-2020 at 9:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    3x3 would fit the "small/medium" size imports. My bridgewood 511 is 36 wide and 28 or 29" deep (but needs another 10" for the dust collection hose on the fence.) The 511s regardless of manufacturer are super common, and relatively capable, sometimes 5.5hp, usually 7.5.

Otherwise a wadkin bursgreen brs seems to be about the most cast iron in a compact package, finding one will be the issue.
    Thanks Jared. I’ll keep my eyes open for a 511 machine. Looks like a decent compromise in a small shop. Is there a European machine (Italian?) that comes to mind that is a very similar size / capability?

I watched a few videos of Jack’s on the Wadkin BRS. Looks like a sweet little machine...I think you’re right though, that they are a bit difficult to track down in fully operational condition. Probably looking for something a bit newer for a shaper actually, which is usually the opposite way I lean with machines.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jared. I’ll keep my eyes open for a 511 machine. Looks like a decent compromise in a small shop. Is there a European machine (Italian?) that comes to mind that is a very similar size / capability?

I watched a few videos of Jack’s on the Wadkin BRS. Looks like a sweet little machine...I think you’re right though, that they are a bit difficult to track down in fully operational condition. Probably looking for something a bit newer for a shaper actually, which is usually the opposite way I lean with machines.
    Not having seen one in person but the griggio t100 is similar in size to the 511 and I'd assume capability.

The scm t100 is smaller.

SCM had some smaller foot print shapers and likely the T100 or 110. I saw beige ones at one auction and only once and they went way too high price wise at that auction. Even the auction guy was stunned.

Be hard to go backwards on a shaper or any machine once you have had better quality it will take patience to go backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    SCM had some smaller foot print shapers and likely the T100 or 110. I saw beige ones at one auction and only once and they went way too high price wise at that auction. Even the auction guy was stunned.

Be hard to go backwards on a shaper or any machine once you have had better quality it will take patience to go backwards.
    Yes to both of those points. I’ve watched SCM shapers at auctions go for a good bit more than I’d consider a good price for me and always shake my head. Wouldn’t mind a smaller SAC shaper with sliding table...sometimes they seem to fly under the radar a little more than SCM even though they are built heavier by most accounts.

That’s my problem is that all my machines are either vintage Italian (SCM and the like) or old American arn (Oliver, Tannewitz, Powermatic) and I don’t really want to bring in a Taiwanese machine, though I’m sure some of the better QC brands/models would likely be just fine. Less of a political/purist thing and more of a quality / reliability / simplicity thing.
    Still waters run deep.

Phillip I have looked at the 511 machines and they are well built. I just bought a Cantek P20 HV planer with a helical head, Cantek is one of the brands selling 511,512 shapers. I am pretty positive this will be my last planer. Most of my machinery is Euro stuff ,and this planer is right there . Also just bought a Delta/Invicta RS 15 shaper with a 7.5 h.p. motor. The build is very similar in the 512 shapers to the Invicta but a bit smaller and lighter.

Blog Entries
    Yes to both of those points. I’ve watched SCM shapers at auctions go for a good bit more than I’d consider a good price for me and always shake my head. Wouldn’t mind a smaller SAC shaper with sliding table...sometimes they seem to fly under the radar a little more than SCM even though they are built heavier by most accounts.

That’s my problem is that all my machines are either vintage Italian (SCM and the like) or old American arn (Oliver, Tannewitz, Powermatic) and I don’t really want to bring in a Taiwanese machine, though I’m sure some of the better QC brands/models would likely be just fine. Less of a political/purist thing and more of a quality / reliability / simplicity thing.
    Lots more options if you were looking for a T130 sized machine. My casolin was about 1/3 of the going price for a used scmi.

The 511 was sold as the delta 43-791/792, and the powermatic 29. The current powermatic ps29 is a 512 or 513.

I

I found a T110 a few years ago, less than an hour from my shop. It came with a very handy bolt on slider attachment. I really like this setup. I think it was near the end of the green ones, the sliding attachment is the more recent color combination.
    P1080829.jpg