Thread: Laguna LT18 3000 - Good/Bad? Value? Craigslist semi rant

Laguna LT18 3000 - Good/Bad? Value? Craigslist semi rant

Part 1) What's the value of a this Laguna LT18 3000? It's a china made model. Not sure the age. Was reading mostly positive reviews but also a lengthy writeup by a user that said they couldn't tension the blade all the way and blamed that on the smaller spring Laguna had. I'm currently using a 14" Jet that's from the late 90s. So this would be a huge upgrade. Any thoughts on price? I think new it was $2100 or so. Comes with 3 blades including a 1 1/4" carbide tipped one.

Part 2) This really pissed me off and I'm sure some will disagree. I saw a brand new Laguna 1412 on CL two days ago. It had been listed for 7 hours. It was a year or so old BUT still in box with 2 blades, never opened. Seller wanted $550 Deal! As much as I wanted a 220v 2+hp bandsaw, that was a deal I thought for interim I couldnt pass. Got in touch and seller said he had a guy coming in the morning and he'll let me know they pass.

I check craiglist yesterday evening and see the SAME EXACT saw listed in a town about an hour away for $1,000 now The new seller didn't even bother taking it out of his truck to take photos and post. I was mainly pissed cuz I missed out on the deal BUT also pissed because the new buyer is not even using the saw, just scamming I think. I can see it being worth around $800 but for $1,000 when new it's only $1,099 with warranty, I don't know, just irritated. I guess it's up to whatever buyer to do their homework and decide if it's worth it.

1 1/4" carbide blades seem like a lot of work to tension for this saw, but maybe I'm wrong. Depending on condition, I'd say that saw is worth $600-800. I don't have any direct experience with this model though, only Italian made LT18s, which are great saws.

I think Laguna saws tend to be generally overpriced (especially the used, Asian made models that are riding on the Italian Laguna name) for what they offer compared to other similarly equipped saws, but that's just me. Does this saw have the newer ceramic guides or older Euro style guides?

Craigslist is always full of dummies, scammers, flippers, and people that generally have no idea what stuff is worth and/or have little to no moral fabric. Can't let it stress you out, just keep on trucking and broaden your search to other avenues (gov't auctions, irs auctions, estate sales, ebay (if local), etc) Good opportunities do appear on Craigslist, but I can tell you from 15 years or CL experience that it's the exception and not the rule and you have to be diligent, quick to act, and even then it can fall through in a heartbeat. Sometimes the stress of a potential deal is not worth it.

Patrick,

You must live in the SF Bay Area because I saw the same ad and the subsequent one you mention. I'm not in the market for a bandsaw so didn't think twice about it, but it reminded me of a similar experience I had last year at an estate sale. I came across an almost mint condition Walker Turner 900 floor model drill press with foot pedal mortising attachment, hand crank table, slow speed attachment, the whole shebang, for $150. By the time I tracked down someone to give my money to it was sold. Next day I saw it on Craigslist for $900. A few weeks later I saw it again, this time for $650/obo. Haven't seen it since. I don't do it but I call it flipping, not scamming, and feel an item is worth whatever someone will pay for it. But I feel your pain.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 03-24-2019 at 3:47 PM.

Too bad you did lose out on the 1412 deal, however that is the entry level laguna, and while a good saw, if you are looking at an 18" saw, you may have needs that would be too big for the 1412.

I've had the Chinese LT16 3000 for about 10 years. It has done everything I've asked of it. Mine has the ceramic guides. The fit and finish isn't the best, but doesn't seem to affect the function. The dust collection is fantastic. In fact, it's better than my friend's Italian LT16 HD.

I, too, have the LT16. I, too could never get adequate tension on the blade. Mfg'r specs called for 132" blade. SOOO, I changed to a 131.5" blade length and have no problems getting and maintaining the blade tension. Also does a very good job of re-sawing up to about 12" [Suggestion, always order blades from specialty house, such as 'sawblades.com' and pass of the usual Rockler/Woodcraft prepackaged 132"ers