Thread: Finishing Suggestions for Countertop -WWYD

Finishing Suggestions for Countertop -WWYD

Hi All, I'm just about ready to finish a peninsula countertop for my kitchen. It is made from reclaimed wood, probably Douglas Fir, but not certain. It is from the mid 1800's and very stable. Now, it is roughly 38" x 98" with a small top mount bar sink. I'm aware of all the info out there against putting a sink in a wood countertop, but am choosing to ignore it. The floors throughout our home a just oiled and I love the matte look of the finish. Do you have suggestions as to the finish I can apply to this countertop to achieve a similar appearance? BTW, I'm deathly allergic to tree nuts, so need to avoid things like walnut oil. We always use cutting boards, so food contact is unlikely, but ...

TIA for your thoughts.

The conundrum is that "in general", using just an oil will give you the look, but will not really do anything to "protect" the wood surface from the effects of water which will most certainly be deposited on it with frequency due to the sink. Migration of water between the sink and the wood surface is also a concern because it WILL get wicked into the end grain exposed in the opening and will cause rot and discoloration over time. Personally, I'd use a something that would actually penetrate and seal (both sides and all the edges) and top coat that with a matte sheen finish that will get closer to the look you want but be more protective. Even then, there is long term risk for discoloration and other effects of water. I only use water borne finishes, so I'd probably use Target Coatings EM8000cv for the film finish. (sprayed) For oil based, (wipe or brush on), there are quite a few choices, but any high-quality varnish is likely going to be as good as any other. Something with polyurethane resin will help with abrasion resistance. Go to a real paint store rather than the 'borg to buy quality products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might consider Bona Traffic HD. Made for floors, so it's tuff, and comes in lots of sheens, including matte.

https://www.bona.com/en-US/Bona-Prof...onaTraffic-HD/

John