Thread: Idea For Parallel Clamp Storage

Idea For Parallel Clamp Storage

I am in the process of moving my shop, and today I moved a bunch of parallel clamps. I don't have a rack yet, so I was standing them against the wall, and it hit me that when the clamps are closed, if stored head-down, their weight would be on the floor, and all that would be needed on the wall would be something to hold the rails to keep them aligned and stable. Ever the copier, I looked around to see if anyone had made a rack like this, but it seems that everyone is intent on hooking the heads over something that hangs on the wall.

I'm thinking that a base on the floor and the aforementioned wall rack would be a very quick build with no concern over weight.

The downside to it is the lateral space of none of the clamps being stacked, but the heads could actually touch, which would offset some of that.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone done it before?

I attached a picture to make the idea clearer.

Thanks!
    Jeff2019-03-24 01.29.08.jpg
    Athens, AL

Blog Entries
    One of the mags had a similar storage method. Basically a long, low frame to keep things from wander off the platform and evenly spaced rods sticking out of the wall to prevent a complete domino effect if the clamps got bumped. While a bit more efficient, space-wise, than a wall-hanging "comb" style, the racks that allow several clamps to be stored in the width of one work better for me. Maybe you could combine the two ideas with clamps turned 90 degrees from those in your picture with the tray having a depth that would accommodate 6 or so clamps per position.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-24-2019 at 8:35 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    While a bit more efficient, space-wise, than a wall-hanging "comb" style, the racks that allow several clamps to be stored in the width of one work better for me. Maybe you could combine the two ideas with clamps turned 90 degrees from those in your picture with the tray having a depth that would accommodate 6 or so clamps per position.
    I think the problem then becomes the clearance you need to get the clamps off the tray - which would be wasted space relative to the type of racks you're using now.

Where Jeff's idea might work well is if floor space is at more of a premium than wall space. For example, if you have a long, narrow shop, lining clamps up along one of the long walls, per Jeff's approach, might help to make the most of the available floor space.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff, I did something similar several years ago
    MH Clamp Rack 003.jpeg
    MH Clamp Rack 002.jpeg
    But I found there was a problem with crud falling in them
    MH Clamp Rack 004.jpeg
    Has not caused a problem that a quick wipe with a rag wont fix, but it is an issue.

Mike (sorry for the orientation of the pics, the creek software appears to ignore exif data for orientation)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I know I'm probably in the minority, but as my current section of the basement that is affectionately (and with no small amount of giggling) known as 'my shop' has no ceiling - only exposed ceiling joists . . . I just pull my stool over and stand on it to clamp my clamps to the joists themselves. That way they're completely up and out of the way.

Flamone have you considered screwing some wood across the joists? Then you slide the bars on them letting the jaws hang below. Easier than clamping each clamp and quicker to get down.

I've thought about it briefly, but as I'm not going to be in that area too much longer - I'll do something a bit nicer in the new space. . . . maybe . . .probably . . .

I like the idea of storing them head down, and it would be simple to make a roll-around clamp rack that stored them that way. I like to have them mobile. I'll bet one of those magnetic tool bars mounted in the right place would hold the bars well enough that you wouldn't need any other way to hold to them in place besides resting on the base. The thing I hate about storing them head up, is that every so often one of the heads will slide down on its own as I'm grabbing the clamp and slam into my hand. That's an instant blood blister and it *hurts!*

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I like the idea of storing them head down, and it would be simple to make a roll-around clamp rack that stored them that way. I like to have them mobile. I'll bet one of those magnetic tool bars mounted in the right place would hold the bars well enough that you wouldn't need any other way to hold to them in place besides resting on the base.
    +1 Good idea.

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

I've used a solution in two shops now and it works for me. I have a shelf up high where I keep my corded portable tools (routers and such). That presents a problem with the cords. So I have a horizontal bar mounted below the shelf spaced a couple of inches from the wall. I thread my cords from the front of the shelf down behind the bar so they hang down next to the wall. Then I keep my clamps on the bar.

Soke good ideas in this thread from a couple weeks ago.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Storing-clamps