Thread: Animation of options for fitted boxes in OpenSCAD

Animation of options for fitted boxes in OpenSCAD

Working on this for Design into 3D:

designinto3d_box_fitted_animation.jpg

Still working through the details of the design back-end --- it's a lualatex file which reads in the JSON from the saved preset from OpenSCAD and uses METAPOST to draw the geometry.

EDIT: unfortunately, the .gif was converted into a JPEG on uploading. Here's a link to the .gif: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/images/3/3..._animation.gif

Well done. You can't go wrong with custom boxes. Gotta love the truly parametric nature of SCAD.
    IBILD High Resolution 3D Scanning Services

I'm so out of touch with today's technology. Everything about this post confused me. Lol

My apologies --- didn't want to cause any stress.

Let's see, to break it down:

OpenSCAD is a free/opensource 3D modeling program which uses basic geometric descriptions and math and programming to define objects --- that's the tool I used for the designs shown

The designs in question are all done from one file and are "parametric" in that they are defined by parameters which you can select in the customizer interface (shown to the right of the graphics).

Those numbers are written out from OpenSCAD in a "JSON" file which is a standard system for representing data in a computer program

I've worked up a system which uses a typesetting tool (tex) which has a document definition system comprised of macros (latex) in its most recent version which also includes a scripting language (lua) and embedded vector graphics system (metapost) which together are known as "lualatex" --- this system reads in the JSON file and creates a PDF which has the drawings for the box design as vector graphics which can then be imported into a tool such as Carbide Create or Vectric Vcarve so as to make toolpaths so that one can machine the box on a CNC machine.

It's sort of described in my (now funded) Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-project-desi --- I've also been writing up how to do these designs using traditional tools / techniques.

If someone wants a particular style of box in a particular size, I'd be glad to work up and post files --- thus far I've done fitted, fingerjoint, dovetail, and mitered (and I've been working on a mitered w/ hidden spline which is almost void free off the CNC).

OpenSCAD isn't for everyone...In fact, it's a bit 'geeky' but it makes parts mathematically via code you write. It's very helpful when making things like gears, things with threads and other parts that are difficult to model in other ways. When it's done, it generally creates a lightweight STL mesh that preserves the sharp edges and creases on the part. It's used a lot in the 3D printing community for resizing and customizing things like boxes or gears etc.

Like anything else...you probably weren't born knowing how to use something like this...but the good part is, you're never too old to learn - unless you say so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IBILD High Resolution 3D Scanning Services