Thread: Finish for a turning tool handle

Finish for a turning tool handle

Hi!
    I'm making some handles for carbide tools (cherry) and I'm looking for suggestions on what to use for a finish. Also, I would like to some way cover the end where the copper ferrule is maybe leave the copper long and fill with thinned epoxy? Any ideas for that? Pretty green at this and any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Gary

No finish and if you don't want to see the end grain by the ferrule, buy a copper pipe cap instead of pipe.

I always use poly U. Works fine. I use a copper coupler for a ferrule.

I prefer an oil finish for handles - I generally use Watco "danish" oil. I think it's BLO, mineral spirits, and some kind of varnish like poly. It soaks into the wood instead of leaving a film on the wood that can chip off.

I have some ferrules that close on the end to cover the wood. I don't remember where I got them. You could probably make one with a copper pipe cap and drill a hole in the end just the size of the tool shaft.

I've also seen ferrules made from various brass fittings, sometimes reduced on one end that might do what you want. Some are threaded with hex sides like a nut to turn with a wrench and people turn sometimes them down on the lathe to suit. You might browse the hardware store.

JKJ

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll try oil and not worry about the end grain showing... Thanks again.

I prefer no finish. I like the feel of unfinished wood. I sand to 180.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I also like a simple oil finish on my handles. Don’t make them slick, just smooth enough where they feel good. As for the copper ferrule, buff it with 0000 steel wool and put on some poly or lacquer. They will shine for a long time.

I have a number that are bare wood, which is what I prefer. Also some with wipe on poly, and some with walnut oil (second favorite). I do like the feel and look of hand worn tool handles...

robo hippy

I only have two that I've made and both have shellac sanding sealer wiped on and them sanded with 120. I like the handle not to feel too smooth but also not to absorb any oil/ sweat/ dirt from my hand. The bbest thing about it is you can try it one way and then a different way until you find what you like.

I use my tool handles as experiments. I will use different finishes or finishing techniques just to play because it doesn't matter if I tear it up. Most of the time for serious tool handles I just use miniwax wipe on poly. It's a hard finish and wears well.

Cnsider one of the hard waxoil finishes, leaves the wood natural feel and is impervious to moisture, long wearing and clean.

Thanks for the responses! I used danish oil on this one.. came out OK. I will probably try something else on the next one as they are only for my own use and as JohnC said I can experiment on these handles. I think they are pretty easy to make (especially if you have a milling machine) The only difference I can see is the fanciness of the handle and I THINK the steel bars are powder coated I could have that done pretty economically although they work just fine for me with my limited experience. Someday I'll graduate to traditional tools.

Thanks Again!
    xcarbide.jpg
    Last edited by Gary Esak; 03-27-2019 at 3:08 PM. Reason: trying pic