Thread: Segmented eagle

Segmented eagle

I came across a tutorial on a segmented eagle and thought I would give it a try. Well I tried 3 times and still not perfect but am using it anyway .I used lamination pro and the tutorial. The first cut is 7/8" wide and cut at 15 deg and every other on is flipped and glued back together to form a zig zag pattern. The next cut is at 25 deg and every other one flipped and glued back together. It is then cut at 35 deg and cut in half and then flip one half and presto you now have an eagle. The head is supposed to be on the bottom of the segments. You are to cut them off and glue them on top. Well mine were all screwed up so I had to make some. I used a 3/4 V router bit and cut strips of maple and ebony and glued them into the V. I have a lot of pictures. The last picture is a laser guide I made up to help line up the cuts. This is one tough feature ring. I have not decided on a shape to put this in but will post again once I decide
    Al
    eagle 1.jpgeagle 2.jpgeagle 3.jpgeagle 4.jpgeagle 6.jpgeagle 7.jpgeagle 8.jpgeagle 9.jpg

Nice work looks very good.

Looks good! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Oh Man, that is cool.
    Looks like a lot of work, great job seeing it through. Can't wait to see it finished.
    You could even leave it like that and make angled, stave-style cuts to have a hexagonal or octagonal finished product.

Great job. If you don't mind what tutorial did you use?
    Thanks
    Jerry

http://woodturnerpro.com/community/i...p?threads/601/
    If it comes up error click on forums and scroll down