Thread: Stanley #45 Combination plane micro fence lock screw

Stanley #45 Combination plane micro fence lock screw

Hi guys, I hope this is the right area for this question. I just picked up a nice #45 off of ebay and found the the micro fence lock screw is missing. Does anyone know what the size is? It close to a 10-24 or 10-32. I think it is pretty close to a 10-24 as it screws in a bit more than the 10-32. You can find the screws on ebay but they are very pricey ($20 and up). Does anyone know the exact specs on the screw and if there is a modern equivalent. The plane is for woodworking, not sitting on shelf to impress someone.

You can, if you're willing, rethread the hole to fit modern standards. Use a 10-32 tap, if I recall correctly; let me know if you need me to check.

Thanks Bill! After I posted here I discovered that the screw for the blade lock down retainer is the same size screw. Turns out that screw is .185" while the 10-24/10-32 is .190" Haven't had a chance to check the thread pitch but I may see if I sand down the threads by .005" if it will work...if not I will re-tap it as you suggest. I will post back here the results

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Griest View Post
    Thanks Bill! After I posted here I discovered that the screw for the blade lock down retainer is the same size screw. Turns out that screw is .185" while the 10-24/10-32 is .190" Haven't had a chance to check the thread pitch but I may see if I sand down the threads by .005" if it will work...if not I will re-tap it as you suggest. I will post back here the results
    To the best of my recollection it is a 10-28. Interesting this since the same thread is used on the Stanley #42X saw set handle pivot screw. This got me to purchase a die from Victornet:

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...-1-2/1350.html

They do have a $25 minimum. If you need dies, taps, drill bits or other items they are good folks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)