Thread: It followed me home, honest

It followed me home, honest

First CL find in a while. My "new" State T5 spindle sander on its way to the shop. It's not quite unloaded yet, DW insists that I not do it by myself, so it will wait for morning when my son comes over. I hope my improvised hoist works out-- it didn't fail immediately in a test lift. Everything is rated for at least 4x the weight involved, but there are many possible single points of failure. I'm going to put cribbing underneath so it can't fall very far. This beast is heavy! (550 lbs according to the State website.)

I'm building a bunch of Greene and Greene inspired tables, so many inside curves to fair out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be having questions about the spindles and how to use them!

IMG_1132 (1).jpgIMG_1133 (1).jpg

I have things follow me home all the time, especially bad when they've situated themselves in the cargo area. Somebody should research this crisis. Probably good for at least a few mil in government grants..??

I feel your pain on moving heavy objects. My shop is in my basement with no outside door. My table saw weighs around 750 lbs, my joiner weighs around 325 and they all came down the steps with a come along and a few pieces of brazilian walnut for support. After I got them in the basement I made a hoist between the 1st floor joist and setup a pulley system to lift different parts to put them together. Wood working seems to require many other skills....lol
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I've never seen a T5. Lots of T4s though. Great find. Be careful.

Very nice find!!

You may want to re-think lifting it by the table, however...get those straps under the unit
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope you got it unloaded okay, but I wouldn't want to have to lower it with a come-a-long.

A lot of stuff follows me home except money......

Never seen a State T5! More pics when you have it set up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very nice find!!

You may want to re-think lifting it by the table, however...get those straps under the unit
    I would disagree with this, and strongly.
    That table is fully capable, as built and attached of supporting far more than the 550 lbs of this unit.
    If you sling it lower, you effectively risk flipping it, as the center of gravity is no longer below the straps, but above.
    Gravity is your friend, and you are using it wisely.
    Looks like a compact and well built unit, similar to the Kindt-Collins cabinet units, but maybe slightly smaller scale.
    OWWM forum is the place to go for info on that age unit.

Safely into the shop this morning, one more lift when the mobile base I've ordered arrives, but that's only a couple inches. We positioned ourselves so that if something came loose we wouldn't be in the way.

For those concerned about lifting by the top, here's the instruction from the user manual. It's quite top heavy, so I think lifting from the top is far safer as Peter pointed out.

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 1.13.58 PM.jpg

I've just put in an order for sanding sleeves from Klingspor and asked for a quote from Freeman for the couple of rubber sleeves that were missing. Should be good to go soon! It came out of a school and seems to run quite nicely-- quiet, no vibration, no oil leaks, so I don't think it's been beaten to death.

I stand corrected since the instructions indicate lifting by the top is permitted. Many machines are not happy with that, however.

Glad you got the deed done, Roger...that's a nice machine to add to your shop!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...