Thread: Epoxy filler

Epoxy filler

Anyone ever use an epoxy filler for filling cracks in stock.

I have some QS white oak crotch that has a few small cracks. I think a black epoxy filler would look pretty good but I’ve never used any.

Yes,I have used West System epoxy with their black dye to fill knots and cracks in walnut.
    I used their fumed silica (Cab-O-Sil) to thicken the mixture so it wouldn't run out the cracks that went all the way through. However, I did tape a barrier under the crack to make sure the epoxy didn't all run out.
    I filled the cracks and knots above the surface of the wood and then scraped and sanded the filler flush with the surface of the wood.

Rick

I just filled some cracks on Walnut with finely crushed turquoise and thin isocyanurate glue. Came out pretty well.

Blog Entries
    Some of my tote repairs have rosewood sawdust mixed with epoxy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have used West epoxy thickened with bronze powder (really copper), very cool in black walnut.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Use a two-part 5-minute epoxy for filling cracks. I have several small jars of concrete tint for colouring the epoxy. A contrast, such as black, is an attractive way to deal with some.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have, and will continue, to use West Systems with TransTint dyes with excellent results.

I just recently had to do an epoxy fill that is died black. I personally am not that confident in 5-minute epoxy and will always resort to the more reliably West System or something similar. I personally have had mixed results using 5-minute brands, although if you choose a really good quality brand it may never give you an issue. I have used 5-minute West System epoxy with good results but I would not recommend going to the home center and picking up the brands they carry.

The die I used was something I picked up from Amazon. It was designed to be used with epoxy therefore I felt much more comfortable using it due to not messing with my mix ratios too bad. The die is pure black and took one drop to instantly turn the mix. I was really happy with the results. The die is linked below if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Epoxy fill and butterfly.jpg