Thread: Shop Made Bench Assistants

Blog Entries

Shop Made Bench Assistants

Even if you have made a shooting board and bench hooks there may still be some useful information in this video from Fine Woodworking.

Click Here

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Even if you have made a shooting board and bench hooks there may still be some useful information in this video from Fine Woodworking.

Click Here

jtk
    Another excellent source is finding a copy of Robrrt Wearing's "Workshop Aids and jigs". Search Amazon (he has several editions and, IIRC, several name variations, but the content is very close in all.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Jim, I almost didn’t watch the video, but I’m glad I did. I would definitely use some of those but I need a way to store them.

Also, I’ll second the Wearing book. That one is chock full of clever stuff!

Good vid Jim. Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I agree Jim. I came across this video on the FWW site a while back and made several of these jigs. They hang on pegs under my bench. They are very effective and super simple. The planing stops are very handy as are the V-blocks. I already had made a shooting board, but cut it up and used his design as it was smaller and more practical than my original.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I watched this video some time back but forgot it. Thanks for posting it Jim. My bench is complete except for some holdfast holes and my planing beam. This post comes at a great time for me.

Look like some very useful jigs Jim. Thanks for sharing the link.

They all look pretty straightforward to build, but if you'd like the details, and have access, the video is based on an article from the Winter, 2017 Tools & Shops ​issue of FWW.

The article noted above by Gary is very useful - issue #258.