Thread: Drop-front/Fall-front hinge help

Drop-front/Fall-front hinge help

My mother has a drop/fall-front/lid secretary desk that she has asked me to fix for her. My first thought was to install some butt hinges (H-71 from Horton Brasses) to support the writing surface, but upon further investigation, the front surface has an overhang that makes the hinges impossible to use without cutting down the lid. The writing surface was originally hinged using two long wood screws through the desk sides and into the writing surface's endgrain; the holes have wallowed out over time. How would you go about fixing this?

20190322_192413.jpg20190322_192105.jpg20190322_192506.jpg20190322_192539.jpg20190322_192612.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Whitehorn; 03-22-2019 at 9:47 PM. Reason: Added pix; fixed spelling

If it were me, I'd carefully align both pieces so the holes are matching and clamp in place. Then I would take a drill, 3/8 would be probably the right size for 3/4" stock and drill both pieces at the same time so the holes perfectly line up.

Then I'd turn down some brass on a lathe to fit in the holes, you'd need 4 pieces. I'd bore out the center to match a framing nail that is a snug fit and epoxy the pieces into the holes to act as a bushing for the pin. You will likely need to drill and thread the outer of the two bushings with a set screw to hold the pin before you epoxy the whole assembly in place. Should last for the ages. If you don't have a metal lathe or know someone who does, you might need to find someone to help you with that.

Something like this might work, but I think you'd need to loosen one of the sides to install them:

https://www.rockler.com/roto-hinges-...QaArJLEALw_wcB

Alternatively, maybe a steel dowel pin of an appropriate diameter and length - you could add a wooden plug to the side of the desk to cover:

https://www.mcmaster.com/dowel-pins

Pete, I don't have a lathe, but I did think of something along the same lines, perhaps using something like these: https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...rumbCatId=5207. I could drill out the desk's vertical members and semi-press them in (like a very slight interference fit). Then I thought that perhaps a threaded insert would work on the writing surface's edge - a longer brass screw through the bushing and into the insert from each side, with a drop of thread locker and it might be good to go ...

Gary, those are really neat, but I agree - you would have to pull the carcass apart to get them in. That said, the threaded posts from McMaster might work in the insert I mentioned above. Thanks!

What does everyone think of using a knife-hinge (like the ST-80 from Brusso)? I could mortise them into the carcass sides and the writing surface's edges. (They are meant for vertical use; I don't know how they would hold up to horizontal use.)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Whitehorn View Post
    What does everyone think of using a knife-hinge (like the ST-80 from Brusso)? I could mortise them into the carcass sides and the writing surface's edges. (They are meant for vertical use; I don't know how they would hold up to horizontal use.)
    Patrick,

This looks to me like it would work for you. The hinges would be visible when the desk is open, but it's an attractive piece of hardware, so I don't think that would be a problem. I couldn't tell from the information on Brusso's web site whether there is a limit on how far the hinge will open that could be an issue - I'm guessing that you need something that will open to 110* or so.

Something else you might consider, particularly if you would like to keep the repair true to the original design. You could drill out both the side of the desk and the drop-down, where it's been wallowed out, and glue in hardwood dowels. Then drill to accommodate smooth steel dowel pins like they have on the McMaster site and fill with a wooden plug on the side of the desk. (Hope that description made sense.)

Long-time - no update, huh?

Well, I did get the desk repaired and I did it by using the 1/2-threaded stud, threaded inserts, and the bronze bushings. Pictures attached!

20190420_164013-scaled.jpg
    Clamped, before boring.
    20190420_170517-scaled.jpg
    Bored, with a second bore, for the shoulder of the bushing.
    20190420_183140-scaled.jpg
    Bushing pressed in.
    20190420_183222-scaled.jpg
    From the outside.
    20190420_175556-scaled.jpg
    Threaded insert in the writing surface edge.
    20190420_182403-scaled.jpg
    With the stud and an HDPE washer installed.
    20190420_182433-scaled.jpg
    Fixed!

Patrick,

Thanks for the update. Turned out great - nice work! Bet your Mom is happy to have her desk back.

Gary

Blog Entries
    Good job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)