Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop PCS won't start

SawStop PCS won't start

I purchased a 3hp Sawstop PCS and got it setup today. Turned it on.....nothing, no lights, no power. I called SS Customer Service, I had purchased an extra cartridge, so we started with that. After swapping out the cartridge nothing changed. Opened the switch box and hit the override level and the saw started up so it is getting power. After 2 hours of working with SS CS and using a voltage meter they are sending me a new Switch Box to install. I'm not too electrically inclined, so I hope it's fairly straight forward. Anyway not off to a great start with this saw.

I was trying to be prepared by having an extra brake cartridge, but it appears to be more serious than that. Looking at all the wires nothing appears loose. The last test they had me do involved using a paper clip and bending it so that one end went into slot 6 and the other end slot 8 of a nine hole plug. That caused the left light to blink, which I guess means the switch box is bad. After all the great reviews on this saw I wasn't expecting to end up with something that is going to be an electrical project to get running. I'll keep you posted on the results, they are second day airing the part to me, but with the weekend, I'm not sure when it will get here.

During the call the rep was surprised by what I was seeing inside the "switch box" and came back and said something to the effect, "oh that's the new design they must have started to ship them out". Perhaps a new design is the source of the issue.

Todd

I have had my PCS for 9 years now. Had no problem getting it up and running, did have to assemble it of course.
    I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. I must say though that this is the first time I am hearing about someone having a problem getting their saw going.
    Hopefully you'll be making sawdust with it shortly

Tim

Unfortunate but they were there to help and aren’t going to leave you hanging with a saw that doesn’t work. Once it’s up and running you’ll enjoy it.

I just bought one at the end of January and if it had of had a problem I would have been disappointed too.

I always find it interesting when the first post by someone is to complain about something. I think Sawstop has a very good quality record and responds quickly to problems. Sorry you had a problem and glad they are sending you the parts to fix it.

Hi,

I've only been woodworking for about 9 months and have just lurked until now trying to absorb information. I've used the forum search function so I haven't started any new threads asking for advice since I've been able to find answers to my questions in previous treads. So that is the reason I didn't have a prior post although I knew it would probably not look good as a first post, oh well. In addition to complaining, I wanted to see if anyone had anything similar happen to them. Also, since the defective switch box is apparently a new design and the box appears to be the cause of the problem, I thought anyone in the market for a new saw might want to be aware that they may be working out some bugs on the switch box design.

So far from the feedback and all the reviews I've read, it appears that I just got a bit unlucky, I realize defects happen with any product. Hopefully the new box won't be too hard to install and things will be good to go from there. Thanks for all the feedback.

No worries, Todd, let us know how it works out. I'm kind of amazed they had you checking electrical stuff with a paper clip. I would have said, "No way. You come over here and try it."

Don't know if they suggested this, but have to made sure the lever inside the saw which locks the cartridge in place is completely down all the way? I have a Jobsite Saw but I believe the mechanism is the same in all Sawstop saws. The one time I tripped the brake (by hitting an aluminum fence) I couldn't get the saw to start and I finally checked that one more time and found it was not completely secure. Just a suggestion.

I have always found Sawstop support to be patient and useful toward resolution of a problem. Any manufacturer can have a bad product which is shipped out. I've had it happen, but the key is whether company stands behind the product, provides prompt and adequate support, and works with you till the problem is resolved.

If you're that dissatisfied, maybe they would take the saw back and either replace it or refund the money. Don't know what they're policy is but it's worth a shot if you're unhappy.

Ha, thanks Nick. To be honest, I outsourced the paperclip test to my wife . I told her my fingers were too big.

Thanks for the thought Randy. When your saw wouldn't start do you remember if either of the front two lights on the saw were on? Outside of the paperclip test, both of the lights on my saw were off the entire time we were testing it. At least the bypass lever inside the switch box started the saw so the motor appears to be working fine.

I got the switch box somewhat disassemble at this point, so I can't test out the lever theory quickly but may give it a shot tomorrow.

I don't remember. It was well over a year ago when Sawstop supplied a retrofit for their saw supplied to remedy a problem noted. I do know, though, that, if that lever isn't seated completely, the saw won't run.

I have an ICS that is 12 years old. When it was a few months old it would not start and had lights lit up, don't remember which ones. CS was very helpful and sent me a new front box overnight and wanted the old one back to evaluate. It has been fine ever since. Sometimes electronic components fail early on. Hopefully this is the case with yours.

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. My 1.75hp PCS started up initially and has given me no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ryburn View Post
    During the call the rep was surprised by what I was seeing inside the "switch box" and came back and said something to the effect, "oh that's the new design they must have started to ship them out". Perhaps a new design is the source of the issue.
    It's a solid state electronic device. A tiny fraction of solid state devices are going to go belly up in the first few power-ups, despite the best efforts of manufacturers to burn them in with in-factory testing. You're probably just the unlucky recipient of of what the industry knows as "infant mortality" or "early component failure."

The probability of failure for solid state electronics typically follows what is called the "bathtub curve" - relatively high in the first few hours of use, falling rapidly to a very steady, low rate, then rising again dramatically as the electronics nears its "life expectancy."

Update*

I got the new Switch Box from SawStop this afternoon. I didn't realize it was two pieces, so I wasn't dealing with the part that had a lot of wires going everywhere. Very easy to swap out and the saw started right up! All I had to do was plug in two wire connection plugs and screw everything back together.

I started cutting some 2" thick, by 8' foot long boards on it and it's working great. Building a Roubo table as my first project with the saw. Thanks for all the comments and feedback.