Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you believe is the best weed and feed for lawns in the upper midwest?

Blog Entries

What do you believe is the best weed and feed for lawns in the upper midwest?

For several years we have used Trugreen to maintain our lawn, but we are not happy with the results.
    What have you found to work best if you do it yourself?
    I read reviews of Scotts and found that many people were displeased with the results.

42°North and 90° West.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 03-22-2019 at 2:23 PM.

Pretty similar latitude and longitude here (East Lansing, MI). I've been using a service the past 2-3 years (just got tired of DIY), but used to use the Scott's Turf Builder 4-step system, and had good results with it. Broadcast spreader, at about 2/3 the application rate they give you on the package.

I use the Scott's products but not their weed & feed. I don't think it works very well. I will spray weeds directly. I get better results.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I sold lawn fertilizer for over 20 years.
    The best by far is Scott's. You have less chance of burning your lawn.
    Most people get poor results with weed and feed because they do not apply it correctly. It has to be put down when the grass is damp/wet. so it sticks to the weeds. I like to apply when the grass is damp from the morning dew.
    Having said that .I have also just used Turf Builder (No weed killer) then at a later date apply Weed B Gone. Kills weeds but not grass.

Note.... Crabgrass is controlled by getting a layer of Scott's Turf builder plus crabgrass control down BEFORE it comes up. If you see Forsythia bloom, its too late to use Crabgrass control. Most people apply that step (Step One) way too late.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-22-2019 at 5:10 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Weed and Feed is irresponsible. You are coating the whole lawn for a few weeds, and it all ends up in your drinking water.
    The weed killer I use comes in a battery powered sprayer and you just hit the weeds. I do it twice a year; a half acre in 30 minutes.
    I control the small areas subject to crap grass with crab grass killer. Works great; unless your lawn is very different than mine, there is no reason to treat the whole lawn.

I used Scott's for a few years and it did all right. I think it's somewhat quick release and high in nitrogen so you get the quick green up.

A couple of years ago, my sprinkler company started offering the granular treatments as an add-on to my service contract. I don't know the brand. Same price as Scott's, but they deliver all four treatments in April. It is noticeably slower release fertilizer and continues to work longer than the Scott's. I do still pull individual weeds, or spray with weed b gon. The best weed defense is a thick lawn.

Here, for crabgrass, we go by the lilacs. When they bloom, get the preventative down immediately because the soil temp is right.

Yes, the best defense is a thick lawn. Depending on your soil, core aeration is helpful every couple of years. Also, overseeding is a good idea to maintain the varieties of grass.

Separate weed killer and fertilizer. Get them from your farmer's co-op.

Scott's + WeedBGone for spot duty

I don't take my lawn as seriously as some. I don't see the active fertilizer ingredients as being too different between the big name brands and the cheaper house brands. Its the application that makes the difference as Dave said. I follow the advice of the local agriculture experts who say once a year, in the fall, is enough, since I don't irrigate.
    I prefer a separate pre-emergent for the crabgrass (when the forsythia blooms), and a liquid weed-killer (usually weed-b-gon with a hose end sprayer) as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I don't take my lawn as seriously as some. I don't see the active fertilizer ingredients as being too different between the big name brands and the cheaper house brands. Its the application that makes the difference as Dave said. I follow the advice of the local agriculture experts who say once a year, in the fall, is enough, since I don't irrigate.
    I prefer a separate pre-emergent for the crabgrass (when the forsythia blooms), and a liquid weed-killer (usually weed-b-gon with a hose end sprayer) as needed.

Scott's is different because they put the ingredients through a process so each grain of product, contains each ingredient. The reason it gives good coverage.
    Other lawn fertilizer each grain is it own ingredient. Tossed in a bin and mixed together.
    I have had good success with any brand lawn fertilizer. It is all about application.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Everyone seems to agree with online reviews on Scotts weed&feed. Worse than nothing.
    I'll use separate products for weeds and fertilizer.
    Trugreen did the plug and overseed twice. Nothing really changed.
    One summer they burnt the grass. Seems they always show up to spray instead of granular on windy days. Had a huge "disagreement" with a lawn company spraying across the street from me with 20mph sustained winds and 40 mph gusts. I went over and tried to stop the guy but he became even more determined to spray, so I called his boss. The guy would not talk to him on my phone, and his boss was trying to stop him.
    I pointed out that my koi were taking a direct hit from the spray. The wind was blowing straight at my pond.
    So, I called the Illinois epa and they told me that lawn service companies are trained on proper useage of liquid spray but that they were pretty much free to spray whatever, whenever. They are self regulated.
    A visit to the company's office did little. I tried to reason with them and got a promise to try to do better.
    Pretty sad that they are free to spray whatever whenever.

Some suggest spiked shoes when mowing. Perhaps I'll try that, too.
    Thanks.

Wish I had a dime every time a customer came into the store complaining the Weed B Gon they sprayed on the weeds (AKA grass) in the cracks on the driveway did nothing.
    It's all about the right product at the right time.
    - Rick Dale

I fenced in the front yard driveway and around the barn. One day a week we turn the sheep loose to mow and weed the fenced areas. So it is a sort of weed and mow and feed and feed.

I use products manufactured by Lebanon Seaboard. Not sure if their products are available in you local area. I buy from a locally owned pro turf products business. Great service, free advice and excellent results with the Lebanon Seaboard products. Look them up. I can see the lights of their plant from my property.