Thread: Necessary to Connect Dewalt 735 to DC?

Necessary to Connect Dewalt 735 to DC?

I recently a few articles and videos that recommended that the Dewalt 735 planer need not be connected to a DC system because it creates chips rather than fine dust and that it has a built-in powerful blower. Some of these users just connect a hose to a bag. I always thought the advice was to locate the planer closest to the DC. If I disconnect the planer from my DC, I could reconfigure my layout to get the DC closer to the bigger dust-creators.

What is the view among Creekers, and if you don't connect yours to your DC, what kind of chip collection contraption do you use?

I once owned a Ryobi planer that was used without dust collection. No operating concerns other than having to shovel a pile of shavings off the floor after use.

You can’t believe everything you read or watch on the net. It still generates fine dust especially as the blades dull. You can follow the advice of anyone you like. Your lungs.

I have a 15" planer and a DeWalt 733 with no dust collection on either. They're both in an outbuilding, so there's plenty of room and I lay a sheet of OSB on the floor to catch most of the shavings for easy shoveling. I am sure that dust can be harmful, but I am not that worried about it. It's not like I'm working in a constant cloud of dust, because I don't spend much time planing, just a little every now and then.
    Zach

I have my 735 connected to my DC but it goes into a chip collector before entering the DC. I built a Thein type separator before the DC and it collects almost all but the finest dust. As mentioned earlier, the planer will throw out fine dust as well as chips especially when making fine cuts. i would not chance ruining my lungs over what some deem as not important. They are not the one's who will have to live with the consequences of your actions. Lung issues will creep up on you unawares before you know anything is wrong. I speak from experience. I found out that I have major problems with walnut dust which gave me pneumonia and it has persist for 3 years now. All because I was too lazy to wear a dust mask while cutting on the TS, jointer and planer. Your health is more important.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    I have a Powermatic 15HH connected to a DC. If I forget to close all the other blast gates, I can clog things up. Generally, my DC keeps up. It's a 1.5HP Penn State with the plastic bag below and barrel type filter above. I use the 4" PVC drainage pipe from Home Depot going across the ceiling. So, I have flex hose for the first couple of feet. Then it goes to the PVC up to a common pipe that goes across to the DC. I deliberately located the planer pretty close to the DC. The horizontal run is maybe 6'.

Thanks, Steve (and others). I have SDD and separator so all of the chips go into a bucket like yours. The prevailing wisdom seems to be to leave well enough alone.

I have the 735, and unlike other planners, it actually does a great job at expelling the chips. With that being said, I have it hooked up to my cyclone. It would still make quite a mess with out the DC.

Within the last year, I replaced the Dewalt dust collection dome that fit on the top of a garbage can. I now have it going directly to an SSD. Huge improvement in performance. If anyone would like the old Dewalt setup, I would be glad to part with it.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    There's a guy on another forum that just backs his pickup to the 735, fills it up & then goes for a drive down a country road. Works very well for him.

Have Dewalt, at first dumped shavings into back yard, wife shut that down. Then got filter bag from Rockler & ran hose into that. I was suspicious it was not that effective & was coughing more than normal. Got Oneida mini gorilla ( $1400 dollars ) and now run my Dewalt & bandsaw into it. I think my air is cleaner & wallet lighter. I notice minimal chip buildup in Dewalt now compared to when I was running it into bag. The Oneida suction with the Dewalt fan keeps those chips from backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reich View Post
    Thanks, Steve (and others). I have SDD and separator so all of the chips go into a bucket like yours. The prevailing wisdom seems to be to leave well enough alone.
    As a long time woodworker who has just been diagnosed with COPD, I would not use the word "wisdom" to describe the advice you've received. Dust is dangerous. Planers generate dust in addition to the chips everyone is comfortable with. When will the dust become a problem for YOU? Might be 2 years later, might be 20 years later, BUT IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU.
    Always use the maximum amount of protection you can afford or be prepared to pay the price down the road.

Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I have a small shop and use mostly hand tools but I do have a Dewalt 735 for thicknessing lumber. So I do not have a dust collector. I just have a 4" flexible hose running to a king size pillow case and it works very well for chips. The king size pillow case does not do anything for fine particles so I wear a dust mask when using it. I tried one of the Woodcraft dust collector bags and it just about eliminated the fine particles but was next to impossible to get the chips out, so I went back to the pillow case. I need to build a cyclone system with a filter. But to answer your question, the blower on the 735 has PLENTY of power, it's just how to do you deal with what comes out of it.