Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Particulate Meter?

Take it outside to see what it is like there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Since deciding on this model of cyclone and how I wanted to install it I haven't measured or can even remember any specs. It is what it is. This is the ClearVue 1800 with 5hp, 15" impeller, 6" ducts and drop, then 4" at the lathe. I think there are specs on ClearVue's web site.

JKJ
    John, do you use 2 or 3 4" drops at the lathe or just one 4"?
    If just one 4" how much intake must come from elsewhere (assuming the 1800 requires more than one 4" to operate properly)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    John, do you use 2 or 3 4" drops at the lathe or just one 4"?
    If just one 4" how much intake must come from elsewhere (assuming the 1800 requires more than one 4" to operate properly)?
    I use 6" all the way from the cyclone then go to a single 4" at the lathe. I do the same thing at the drum sander. On the bandsaw I split the 6" into three 4" ducts.

I don't know about having the CV1800 "operate properly" but I do have an opinion about operating sufficiently. The power of the 1800 creates a strong suction and high velocity of air at the nozzle at the lathe. The 4" restriction might reduce the velocity in the 6" duct somewhat (I'd have to go back to the 1700s and ask Mr. Bernoulli) but how much velocity is enough? I think enough velocity in a given section of duct is whatever it takes to keep the dust moving and not settle and collect in the pipe. There is certainly enough velocity at the lathe to take whatever quantity of dust and chips I can throw into the 4" nozzle and pull it vertically to the horizontal duct in the attic. I installed an inspection and clean-out plugs at the end of the straight horizontal section and I've seen no buildup. Perhaps a high volume of large chips from a planer might behave differently in the same situation.

Another observation: when I want to vacuum up some shop dust around the lathe I reduce the 6" to 2-1/2" at the bottom of the 6" drop and use a shop vac hose. If the air flow was too low, chips and dust picked up by this hose would likely settle somewhere in the long horizontal duct to the cyclone. I've seen no evidence of this although I've devised a plan to better test that sometime when I have a helper in the shop.

The CV1800 may be more cyclone than really needed for my small shop but I thought it better to err on the side of too much rather than too little. It would be fun to get some actual pressure an flow numbers - some day when I have nothing else to do. Ha.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I bought a 2.5M Monitor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

It is reading "000" in my shop with nothing having run recently. I try to keep it clean, but "000" seems implausible.
    Is it defective?

Oh, it just went up to "001". That's better.
    I took it outside where it reads "003", but since the light wind is coming from over a lake 50' away, I guess it shouldn't be too dusty.

I put it near a small candle. It read 007, blowing the candle out with the smoke blowing away from it reads 014. With the smoke blowing to it reads 225. Putting it directly in the smoke reads 999.
    Taking it down to the basement again reads 002.

Those of you with good monitors; does this seem reasonable?

Wade - What happens when you make a dust cloud in the shop? Use the table saw or miter saw with DC turned off? What does it read then?

My question is the same as Glen's: what happens when you make dust in the shop without any dust collection?

If I run something through my drum sander without the DC the meter (about 10' away on a shelf) starts going up a few seconds later and gets very high numbers quickly. I don't remember the numbers.

JKJ

I took it outside where it reads "003", but since the light wind is coming from over a lake 50' away, I guess it shouldn't be too dusty.

I put it near a small candle. It read 007, blowing the candle out with the smoke blowing away from it reads 014. With the smoke blowing to it reads 225. Putting it directly in the smoke reads 999.
    Taking it down to the basement again reads 002.

Your PM2.5 readings seem reasonable to me for those conditions. I just checked mine and indoors I have 2.2 and outdoors it's 10.2. My outdoors is calm and sunny in an agricultural area.
    Dust032719All.jpg

I don't think it's a good idea to have your sensor directly in the smoke for very long, but you probably already know that.

To compare the particle counts to what you see on a Dylos you need to multiply my readings by 28. That converts my Metric units (particles per deciliter) to the Imperial units (particles per 0.1 cubic foot) of the Dylos.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Just walked into my shop and the dylos meter is currently showing 200/20. 200 .5 micron particles and 20 2.5 micron particles. Thats also what I get in other parts of the house. These readings are pretty much what I got in CA and MA. I'd wonder about a meter that was showing 000 or 003. Seems implausible. Also, I'd want a meter that showed smaller particles sizes then just 2.5M. I pretty much just look at the .5 micron values which jump up a lot when doing certain operations that generate a lot of dust.

I bought a 2.5M Monitor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

It is reading "000" in my shop with nothing having run recently. I try to keep it clean, but "000" seems implausible.
    Is it defective?

Oh, it just went up to "001". That's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Just walked into my shop and the dylos meter is currently showing 200/20. 200 .5 micron particles and 20 2.5 micron particles. Thats also what I get in other parts of the house. These readings are pretty much what I got in CA and MA. I'd wonder about a meter that was showing 000 or 003. Seems implausible. Also, I'd want a meter that showed smaller particles sizes then just 2.5M. I pretty much just look at the .5 micron values which jump up a lot when doing certain operations that generate a lot of dust.
    Mark, particle count and PM are two related but different measurements. The Dylos number for .5micron is the NUMBER of particles GREATER THAN .5micron. PM2.5 is the MASS of particles LESS THAN 2.5micron.

Bill Pentz has a page that shows a procedure for estimating the PM2.5 value from the DC1100 Pro particle counts, here. Using that procedure your 200/20 readings give a PM2.5 of 1.8, which is essentially the same as the 2 that Wade last reported for his shop.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.

Correction

This is wrong:
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    ...To compare the particle counts to what you see on a Dylos you need to multiply my readings by 28. That converts my Metric units (particles per deciliter) to the Imperial units (particles per 0.1 cubic foot) of the Dylos.
    The reference volume for the Dylos is .01 cubic foot NOT .1 cubic foot. The correct multiplier is 2.8 NOT 28.

The quoted section should read:

"To compare the particle counts to what you see on a Dylos you need to multiply my readings by 2.8. That converts my Metric units (particles per deciliter) to the Imperial units (particles per 0.01 cubic foot) of the Dylos."

Moderator, please edit post #37 if you think it's appropriate.
    Beranek's Law:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Here is the one I was talking about in post #6. If the eBay listing goes stale it was under "Household PM2.5 Detector Module Air Quality Dust Sensor TFT LCD Display Monitor".
    https: //www. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Household +PM2.5+Detector+Module+Air+Quality+Dust+Sensor+TFT +LCD+Display+Monitor&_sacat=0

The one you are looking at will do much the same thing and might be a little more rugged without the open case. Some of the ones I linked also show PM1 too. I'm pretty sure it will use the same family of sensors. Neither type will save the reading for a spread sheet but if you want to get a sensor and are handy with electronics, I'm not, I can lead you to a discussion on making your own. The price of th ese things is coming down all the time.
    I ordered mine the first week of February. eBay now says I'll receive it in May. 4 months!!!!!!!! My suggestion would be to buy something else.

Me, I swear by my Dylos meter. I don't take off my mask until the particle count is at or below ambient.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.