Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Particulate Meter?

I agree that a bell mouth would be better but you could also get an improvement by placing a flat flange around the opening. Both of these would be marginal improvements, I believe, based on first principles. What is the total inlet volume or rated volume for your collector, John? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    My DC nozzle is just behind the spindle of the lathe and I'm amazed at how much fine dust it picks up.

​I have a suggestion that you switch to a bell mouth hood for your lathe as it will be more effective for sucking up the dust. On the Aussie forum, they have shown the effectiveness.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-23-2019 at 9:53 AM. Reason: fixed mangled quote
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I always wear a dust mask and always have the DC on when I’m at my Robust lathe - even if I’m not sanding. As there is no sanding at a RE lathe, and as exotics are oily and (I think) less prone to fine dust when machining as a result, and as I have an effective DC system which is in use when I’m at the RE lathe, I wonder if a mask is required. A meter should resolve the question.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    I agree that a bell mouth would be better but you could also get an improvement by placing a flat flange around the opening. Both of these would be marginal improvements, I believe, based on first principles. What is the total inlet volume or rated volume for your collector, John? Thanks.
    I may try a bell mouth at some point but would probably have to make one to get the profile the way I want it. Due to the closeness of the wall the length would be limited. However the existing nozzle works quite well, perhaps because the existing nozzle isn't too far off what I imagine to be ideal, AND what seems to me like incredible or even excessive suction from the cyclone. It was interesting to dust the air volume at the lathe with talcum-fine sawdust and watch the overall airflow patterns against a dark background. Sort of like casual wind tunnel analysis.

Since deciding on this model of cyclone and how I wanted to install it I haven't measured or can even remember any specs. It is what it is. This is the ClearVue 1800 with 5hp, 15" impeller, 6" ducts and drop, then 4" at the lathe. I think there are specs on ClearVue's web site.

JKJ

I am not certain about first principles or what you are saying. However, BobL in the Aussie forum has measured improvements due to reduction in turbulence. If you have not read his posts, it would be worthwhile. He goes to great lengths in making accurate measurements and has done experiments with the bell mouthed hood. I would trust his measurements over someone's first principles.

I am using one on a 4" pipe and I can see the difference. I bought mine from Parts-Express and was a part for a speaker and cheap. But, it was just a suggestion .....

I also wondered about the "first principles" meant.

Hey, Larry, do you have a picture of yours? I seem to remember one in the past but I don't know if that was yours or not. I can probably make one from pressing hot PVC over a turned wooden form. It would be fun to see the difference between that and what I'm using now both in watching the dust movement and the numbers on the Dylos.

JKJ

Try Parts Express with part number 260-403. $2.89.

As I have mentioned twice, try the Aussie forum where BobL shows how to make one

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Try Parts Express with part number 260-403. $2.89.
    As I have mentioned twice, try the Aussie forum where BobL shows how to make one
    Thanks, out of stock at the moment but it does have the photo. Has a smaller flare than I imagined, would be easy to make.

Perhaps I'm the only one reading who doesn't know how to find the "Aussie forum". Twice now I've searched with Google, evidently without expertise since most of what I've found seemed to be about dogs.

JKJ

Www dot woodworkforums dot com

You could search for BobL and dust extraction

Then Hand Tools & Machinery and then Dust Collection.

Thanks, looks like an interesting place.

BobL is a real scientist and explains in detail his ideas and measurements.

For $300 you could invest in sealing joints on DC/improving filters. My thought is you may be better off improving your situation then dumping money into finding out you have one(because we all do, it can always be better). But It would be nice to check from time to time. Do woodworking guilds have loaners?

I bought a 2.5M Monitor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

It is reading "000" in my shop with nothing having run recently. I try to keep it clean, but "000" seems implausible.
    Is it defective?

Oh, it just went up to "001". That's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I bought a 2.5M Monitor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

It is reading "000" in my shop with nothing having run recently. I try to keep it clean, but "000" seems implausible.
    Is it defective?

Oh, it just went up to "001". That's better.
    LOL. How long have you had it?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    LOL. How long have you had it?
    Just got it today. Down to zero again.